Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts

Options
Tommy
Tommy Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys, I've been out a while. My computer fried and I just became a grand paw.
I built another computer and worried my daughter to death until she sent me home so I guess I better get back grillin.

I bought 2 Boston butts.
I am going to brine them tonight in
1 gal of water
a really full 1/2 cup of kosher salt
almost 1 cup of brown sugar

Can't decide whether to rub them with Magic dust or Ray Lampes big time bbq rub in the morning.

As they are cooking I will spray with Ray Lampes whiskey spray mop but only when I have to open the egg for adding wood or some other good reason. I'm still not sure if I want to spray them with that or just plain apple juice any thoughts on that?

For smoke I'm thinking Cherry and Jack Daniels smoking chips #7. I have never used that stuff but it smells really strong so I'm thinking I better go heavy on the cherry and light on Jack Daniels chips.

When it's done I'm going to pull it and toss it with Lampes big time bbq sauce.
(You'll never guess who's cook book I bought to read while my daughter was having her baby) 15 hours later 9lb 3oz boy.

My last pulled pork was Carolina style and it was very good, this will not be Carolina style but I hope it will be very good as well.

Unless somebody stops me thats my plan, I'll do pics tomorrow.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. Why wouldn't you do one rub with the Magic dust and the other with DrBBqs.

Congrats on the grand kid. Now you can spoil the heck out of him and then send him home. Best of both worlds.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Tommy,

First of all cograts on the new additon. I hope mom and baby are well. Grandkids are more fun than kids.

I am not a huge brine person, but your thoughs of water and salt seem a bit odd to me. It will be interesting to hear from someone who does brining.

The Jack Daniels I got and tried smelled really strong and I was worried about useing them - I am not a drinker nor do I like a pronounced liquor flavor in foods.

I found that the taste in the chicken was fairly light but excelent. The second use I used more chips and still not a strong flavor in the chicken. I did let the chips burn a short while before adding the food.

I would think beef/pork would take on less smoke flavor than the chicken did. Personally I wouldn't be too afraid using 1/2 and 1/2 or maybe a 60/40 cherry 60%.

I really like cherry and wonder what the combination would taste like.

Let us know how the cook turns out and what mixture of chips you ended up using.

GG
  • Tommy
    Options
    Thanks guys, and your right why wouldn't I use both rubs since I have 2 pieces of meat.
    That was just way to simple for me to figure out.
    Mom and baby are doing fine but since son in law is a good Baptist minister I guess I'll not only have to spoil the child beyond all reason but it will be up to me to teach him how to cuss, chew and spit. ;)
    I guess we will get around to that on a fishing trip someday.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well first off congrats on the grand young'an (he he thay say that here in the south..don't know where you are)

i have only brined two butts they both went into one of those big zip-lock bags with 3 two-liter coke classic.. it seemed like a good choice.. turned out really good... so let me know what that brine ends up doing to the butts... the reason i used the coke was everything was already mixed and chilled......

now as far as the JD chips are concerned i only use cherry when i do pulled pork... i use Jd for beef it just seems to me that it taste better with beef... although i got almost an endless supply of cherry so i will use it at the drop of a hat... but i like it alot... so make sure to take pictures B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Tommy
    Options
    Pretty far south.
    Star Mississippi
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    "it will be up to me to teach him how to cuss, chew and spit"

LOL.

That's the spirit.

GG
  • Tommy
    Options
    The brine receipt isn't my idea it came from an e-book called Competition BBQ Secrets.
    Worked like a charm the meat was very juicy, and I will use that brine again.
    The butts were really good.
    Honestly I used both rubs and really couldn't tell the difference even though the rubs are very different. You can taste it in the bark but not the meat.
    Also used the Jack Daniels chips strait up no blend.
    For some reason the smoke flavor wasn't strong while eating the meat but well after finishing my meal I still taste the smoke.

I prepared a bowl sauced with Carolina sauce and one with Lampe's big time BBq sause and everyone in my house went with big time bbq sauce.

Not really a big surprise because in Mississippi you just don't find people eating Carolina sauce but I lived in Greenville for 5 years and I really like the stuff. Several weeks ago I fixed pulled pork with Carolina sauce and everyone liked it and ate a lot of it but given a choice today they chose otherwise.

I have pics but I'll have to figure out how to get them on this site.
    But all in all I'd say we hit a home run today.