Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork LOIN??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, everyone. I have an odd question: has anyone ever made pulled pork using loin? I know - sounds a BIT insane, but I promised someone I'd make pulled pork for an event, and right now, pork loin is on sale for $1.88 a pound - cheaper than boston butt. (God love South Dakota - where you go bankrupt farming, but can eat like a king while doing it). [p]Yes, I have thought of doing something else with the loins, but I need to prepare the meat the day ahead of time, and I can't think of anything that will re-heat well. I am open to suggestions on that front, too. [p]Thanks for any thoughts on the subject!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    SoDak Newbie, it sounds like SD is ripping you off on butt! DOwwn here in Atlanta, Boston Butt is an every day price of $0.99/LB and I can usually catch it on sale for $0.79/LB. Check around and see if you can get a better price on butts. Also, the loin is rather lean for trying to do low and slow.

• Unknown
    Options
    SoDak Newbie, yep, i agree, loin is to lean to pull. it will dry out to quickly. butt is good for pulling because of all the streaks of fat in it, also imparts that good flavor. cook your loin at 300 until it reaches 140-150, let it sit for half hour and she is good to go, this after plastering it with a good rub. heat up your favorite bbq sauce, slice it thin and it is awful good.

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    I agree,1.88 per lb?? Man that must be some prime pig!!But anyway, Loins are not good pulling(too lean) Butts or picnics are great for pulling. If your going to cook the loin,Try rubbing it down, searing it at a high temp for about 3-4 min a side and then run the temp down to about 200-225 for about 45 min to a hour. Then slice thin.Just a suggestion. Good luck

• Unknown
    Options
    Wise One, and others:[p]Thanks for the info - about what I thought (e.g. loin's too lean), but just wanted to check and see if anyone else had tried it. [p]I think I'm going to try doing the loin with a marinade (but not as pulled pork - cooking in normally) and see if it warms up okay. I mean, it's hard to turn down loin at $1.88 a pound! And it's pretty hard to make ANYTHING turn out poorly on an Egg. WIll let you all know how it turns out! Thanks again!
  • Unknown
    Options
    SoDak Newbie,
    I know that you love Skinny, so agree with cutting skinny slices on the loin. Down P'cola way, the Butt's are 59c/lb--have a nice shoulder waiting for company from Pierre. If I were still a SoDak boy, I'd vote Mike Rounds!!!

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    SoDak Newbie,[p]YES YOU CAN!!!! We Italians have been doing it for hundreds of years! That is the meat we use for our proketta sammiches.[p]If doing this, you will need to alter your cooking technique a bit. My Nona always used a roasting pan with about a 1/2" of water in the bottom. She would cover it and let it roast all day in a slow oven. Many modern Italians now use their crockpots to make.[p]I make it on my WSM and use a foil pan with a little water in it, cover with foil and baste often with the juices in the pan. I do not use smoke when preparing this but it can be easily done...just leave it uncovered and pour LOTS of smoke in the first hour, then cover with foil and continue cooking. Cook at 225-250º until internal hits 195º.[p]Now, the meat will pull easily at this point but it will be bit dry. So, once all pulled, you will need to add the juices that have accumulated in the bottom of the pan. These juices will be immediately sucked up into the meat and it will become nice and moist.[p]Don't get me wrong, butt is a much better choice and I usually always do my loins over high heat to about 140-145º, but I wanted you to know that loin can indeed be cooked and shredded.[p]Good Luck!![p]Stogie