Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket opinions, anybody? <Smiley Thingy>

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm curious about the differences between the "whole" brisket and the "Packer" cut. I may have the names wrong, but essentially, one is the big'un with a lot of fat, and the other is the lil'un, mostly trimmed except for the fat cap.[p]I've done a bunch of the trimmed ones with great success, but never a whole one. Whats the deal with that big bugger? Do you leave all that fat on there, and trim before serving? If so, doesn't that mean you are trimming off some of the smokey goodness we crave?[p]All thoughts and opinions are more than welcomed, as I'm starting my ritual of planning this weekends low-n-slow on a Tuesday morning. I just may toss a chest on the Egg.[p]Thanks all,
bc
Sammamish, Wa

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bc,[p]I just did my first whole brisket this past weekend. I think it's the only way I'll ever do brisket again. Yes it was a "big'un with a lot of fat" and I too was a little concerned about the smoke penetration. Fear not, it not only was the most moist, most tender brisket I have ever eaten, it had a great smoky flavor too along with some great bark. I rubbed it good with some Butch's Magic Dust, popped it on under a couple of butts and cooked away for 20 hours, it was awesome. There is a photo down below in the "success" thread if you are interested. Good luck and have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    bc,
    I have a similar question. I just have the big fat half, and I have no clue how to cook this end. What temp and how long should it be cooked, and can you make pulled beef from this?

• Chuck
    Options
    nikkig,[p]The one I just did was 14 lbs. and it was egged at 210* from 6pm to 9am then I bumped it up to 250* until 2pm (190* internal). It was cooked indirect with an inverted plate setter and drip pan. This one was pullable.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Chuck,
    Thanks for the info. I had a whole brisket, but already cooked the flat part (it wasn't cooked long enough and was like shoe leather!). The other end is about a 5 pound hunk. I am going to marinade it in Dizzy Pig Brisket Marinade, and attemt this one more time. I'll let you know how it turned out.

• Unknown
    Options
    bc,
    A whole brisket and a packer's cut is the same thing, the other cut would be using the flat only.
    A whole brisket is the flat and the deckle combine,should have a fat cap of 1/4" or more when you buy it, same for the packer's cut.
    The flat the deckle has been removed and with luck you may have a fat cap.
    The deckle is the bump on the brisket.
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Ah, great, thanks for the reminder on those names![p]What, if any, advantage is there in using the Packer cut on the egg?[p]bc

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck,
    Yup, It was that great picture, and your comment about using the packer cut that got me to wondering about the differences all over again![p]So, after cooking, did you trim the fat before serving or just trim as you eat?[p]My family is quite particular about visible fat, so I don't want to turn 'em off with unsightly fat globs. Uh, on the meat that is, not me... They're used to those by now. :)[p]Thanks!
    bc

• Chuck
    Options
    bc,[p]I trimmed the fat first. There definately was some unsightly gobs. The family would have forgiven me (i think) but I didn't want the guests to have to trim their brisket before making a sandwich. [p]Chuck
  • Unknown
    Options
    bc
    Packer cuts are easier to keep moist than a flat because of the extra fat in the deckle, without that fat it's very easy to end up with dry brisket.
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Well, I think I'm convinced that I need to at least try one packer cut brisket.[p]I've not had any problems with drying out the flat, but I'm always looking for extra insurance when I invest 20 hours into a cook![p]Thanks all,
    bc

• Unknown
    Options
    bc,
    What ever Jim Minion says, is THE FINAL WORD when it comes to brisket. I say this as a compliment, not to be funny or snide. I have read many many posts about brisket and shoulder/butts, and he is always there with good advise. Great to have him on the forum.
    Seth

• Unknown
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    Thank you for your compliment but final word may be just a little strong, I'm still learning to. I do enjoy helping if I can.
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Maybe a tad strong, but not by much, Jim! I agree with Seth, it is great to have you posting here.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks
    I'm looking forward to be able to try out your rub,
    when is going to be out there to be bought?
    Jim