Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's with the CWM flame? (Was: Cheap Ribs!!!)

Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am truly speechless after that CWM flame.

I'm not sure how he can extrapolate from the the fact that I buy one mispriced two-pack of ribs that I'm an A-hole, dickhead, and an evil person out to do in small business? I know it probably doesn't matter to him, but it was the only mispriced pack in the cooler (although I didn't look very hard since I was happy with one) and it happens to be the store's policy that mispricings go in the favor of the customer. It probably also doesn't matter to him that Farm Boy is a chain of 9 massive stores and the owners live in $2M waterfront mansions in a region where the average home price is $225k, and that the $10 I screwed them out of on the ribs won't even pay the gas in their big Hummers to get to one of their stores. That doesn't matter to him, but in all fairness, I didn't consider it either when I bought the ribs. The owners probably just chalk it up as a cost of doing business by hiring a disengaged teenager for $10/hr versus a more committed older worker for $20/hr.

CWM - I have never met you and will therefore save judgment on you, however I note that this is not the first instance where I have observed inappropriate responses from you. What I really have trouble understanding is how you feel you can call people A-holes and dickheads on a public forum, particularly without provocation. If you want to disparage people, perhaps you should consider using e-mail system rather than post publicly where you display your ignorance for everyone to pass judgment. You say you have more family on the forum than elsewhere, but if you keep up that behavior, I'm sure people will quickly begin to distant themselves from you.

Peace and love and good eggin' to all, Mike.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I'm not trying to take sides or stick my nose in, but I'd suggest taking this offline with CWM. CWM is a good person (frankly, a very good person) and I was surprised by his posts, but you and he should work that out offline. My .02, fwiw...
    The Naked Whiz
  • SpanishJoe
    SpanishJoe Posts: 28
    From a fellow Ottawite - check the "cheap ribs" thread - I just replied. Farm Boy was having a fire sale on ribs. There was no mistake. Heard it on the radio. You're lucky - there are no more left...

Keep a cool head, though - most of these guys are veteran posters on this forum, but in the larger world of teh Intarweb tubes, this sort of trolling/flaming is really (depressingly) common. My advice is not to worry about it too much, and actually, it's kind of fun to watch it happen.

On most older forums (SomethingAwful, etc), this sort of behavior gets you banned. I don't know who mods this, but that guys should get a stern warning.

Just my $0.02.
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Veteran poster?...does that give him (CWM) the right to post that way? I haven't been on this forum very long, but seeing that kind of comment will lead me to believe what kind of person he really is. That should have been in a personal email, not on a public forum. Just my .02.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    If my fingers n toes are working correctly that radio add is promoting the racks at 45.9¢ / lb.

Farm Boys sure advertised one great sale on ribs, wish something like that would happen around here. Around here the best we can get 'on a grand opening sale' is $1.79 / lb or $0.89 / kg. and this is for pork spare ribs. So needless to say $0.048 is once heck of a good deal. However, on the surface it sure looks like someone didn't enter the decimal at the correct point. If the pricing is intended then by all means go for it.

As for CWM response. Heavy handed IMO.

Nevertheless, CMW’s principles are right on track. Possibly the world would be a little better off if people would take the high road and help others rather than take advantage of another’s error or what seems to be an error.

Doing the right (good) thing is as much or more of a benefit for one’s self than for the person who stands to lose out.

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    You went the wrong way on your per-kg calculation, Grandpa...it's $3.94/kg.

At any rate, it's obvious from the pic Ottawa_Egger posted that the malfunction was in the scale as it registered the ribs as weighing only 50 grams, about 2 ounces.

At any rate, if the policy of the store is to sell mispriced items as marked, then O-E's only possible sin is to have not have brought the mispricing to the store's attention.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    LOL... "You went the wrong way on your per-kg calculation, Grandpa...it's $3.94/kg." Typical for me.

"Sin" - na, I don't thinks so.

More like coming up on someone with a flat tire and speeding around them honking cuz they are in the way, rather than slowing, giving a little more room. or even stopping and helping.

GG
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    You are right in this reguard...

Mike got pretty pointed and personal, and obviously you hit a hot button with him, so...that's on Him!

He's...now) probably whishing he was a little, (or maybe a lot) more restrained!!

As you say to CWM..."I can't judge you"...but I would say to you...We can judge your actions!

The fact you'd bragg about your, (what is in my opinion, an apparent lack of principles in this matter)
    ...Is not something I really understand!

That said...I have made mistakes myself, and am thankful that when confessed, I am forgiven!

Your justifications and rationalizing aside...my only other comment, (not that you asked for it)
    would be this reminder,

We do reap ...what we sow!

I hope those ribs were worth it!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    yo dude, given your comments, you might consider deactivating your signature sentence for a bit.......... LOL.

See ya in waldorf?..............
    T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    I'm sure that as a "former" AlterBoy...you're saying that with "Love"!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    always

see ya in waldorf?
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM RULES That state violating posts will be deleted?

Rules:—Violating posts will be deleted.
    No profanity or lewd suggestive language.
    An occasional "hell" or "damn" is not a problem. If you are uncertain as to the acceptability of a word or phrase, don't use it.
    No "flaming" posts.
    "Respond" rather than "React". Treat others on the forum with respect. There is no reason whatsoever to insult others with rude, demeaning name calling, insinuations, or accusations. If you feel compelled to carry on a personal exchange with someone on the forum, please use E-mail.
    No advertising.
    If a post requests information, it is acceptable to respond with addresses, phone numbers, or URL's that satisfy the request. Unsolicited advertising of products or home pages is not allowed.
    DO NOT use the forum as your "Cyber Soapbox".
    This is not the place to air your views on matters unrelated to the purpose of the forum or to vent your anger or dissatisfaction with anyone on, or off, the forum.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thank you,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    You have e-mail and you have no idea about how pricing in the grocery business works.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    thebtls,

Well, we did actually delete the original offending post; however, we do prefer to wait long enough to see the general reaction from our members; and, to permit those posting "violations" to offer an apology before we take any more extreme action (e.g. blocking their profile). Like the courts, we also try to consider if this is a "first offense", or an habitual problem.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    "DO NOT use the forum as your "Cyber Soapbox".
    This is not the place to air your views on matters unrelated to the purpose of the forum or to vent your anger or dissatisfaction with anyone on, or off, the forum."

I'd say this thread fits.
    It, and your other, also speak volumes to character.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Man, let it go. It's not between you and Mike. it is between Mike and Ottawa Egger. Mike had years in the grocery business and I the post was written in a way that said the guy was proud to have taken advantage of the store's error.

And even though the language and directed post was off the cuff, I have seen far worse. Maybe you were not around when Wess told Lost in Utah to F#ck off. The issue is it is an online forum and typed words can often be misinterpreted. Should Mike and Wess get a free pass because they are veteran's on this forum? I say yes for this fact. They are major contributors to the forum. Yeah, many other people provide good advice but how many people have posted begging for Mike's ribs or how many visit wess's recipes on his site?