Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another burping ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all the answers. Follow up question. The Naked Whiz said he does not burp he opens the vents all the wy and just opens the vents slowly. The part I don't get is don't the vents already have to be open to get to 500 or 600 degrees?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    On the way up, yes. On the way down, no.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    What I believe the Whiz is referring to is after you've had the Egg going full tilt with the vents wide open, and then you close off the vents to take the temp down (i.e. going to the "dwell" phase) - if you pop open the lid then, that's when you're most likely to encounter a serious flashback. So instead of burping the grill, you open the vents back up for 10 seconds or so and it accomplishes the same thing - only without scorching your gaskets or yourself.
  • Hustling Hare
    Hustling Hare Posts: 105
    Options
    Dan in STL is right. If you have the vents open you don't have a flashback problem. The stage is set when you shut everything up and the coals are still putting out gases that would burn if oxygen were present. By closing the vents you have deprived the fire of its oxygen source so the unburned stuff collects. When you open the lid, wa la, oxygen is available and whoosh you get a big fire burning all that backed up gas.

HH
  • redneckadventure
    Options
    Hustling Hare if I get my BGE stabilized at say 600 for burgers vents open on top and bottom and open the dome throw the meat on wait 1 or 2 minutes open it again flip for same time then shut it down with the meat still on for 3or 4 minutes. I can then reopen the vents and not have to worry. And should all this be done with gloves regadless.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Once you are at the freeburning stage, you really don't have much to worry about. As mentioned before, while the fire is in the incipient stage or as it is spreading across the lump, certain products of combustion are released and are not burning yet. When the egg is "stabilized" you can feel free to open and load the food in, or baste etc.

You should always practice safe egging and burp first, especially when doing high temp seers.
  • Hustling Hare
    Hustling Hare Posts: 105
    Options
    You can open it at 600 deg. without worry to throw the steaks in without a problem. Opening twice more to flip them while the vents are open is not a problem. Your process then is to shut down the vents so the fire cools and the steak continues to roast. Now is when you have to be careful. I usually flip my steaks once and check temperature during that 4-6 minute roast period so I have learned that about 15 second prior to opening I take the rain cap off and open the bottom.. I get a poof of fire out the top and occasionally out the bottom as well (stand to the side when opening the bottom vent). After the poof I can then safely open the lid and flip, check temperature with the thermapen, and/or remove the steaks. If I'm leaving them on for a while longer I close the lid and close the vents again.

Keep on cookin'

HH
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hey Redneck, just start cooking son! Don't worry so much about lossing a little arm and leg hair. Hell, thats just a rite of passage. Fire that baby up to 600 degrees, throw on your bubba burgers, and stop whinning! By the way, do the other little girls in your class grill much?
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Don't say "never have to worry". But here's my 2 cents worth.
    The lump when burning wants to have a flame, and that takes air. We close the top, narrow the vents, and restrict the air, and restrict the flame. That's why we don't have flare-ups much. Now the heat is controlled to where we want it, but the fire wants to have some flame, and waits. When you open the lid..... the fire gets more air and says YEAH!, and gets to flame. if you open the lid fast, the air goes in fast, and you get BIG, fast flame, while losing some hair. If you open the lid about an inch, the fire gets a little air, makes a little flame, and once the flame is set, you can then open the lid all the way.
    Having said that. I still get "flamed" once in a while, but usually when the temp is lower ( about 400) and I thought I didn't have to worry. Good luck.