Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double Decker??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just gotten my BGE, have cooked burgers, and got Chicken Leg Quaters on sale (29 cents/lb.)(I have 4 kids to feed and am accustomed to buying what's on sale). I marinated the legs in brine for 2 days (when I put them in, it was going to be for 4 hours, but so much for plans). I cooked them for 1 3/4 hours at 350-375 (I'm still getting used to the egg). Internal temp was 180 on largest. THEY WERE GREAT!!! [p]Here's the problem. We went back and got 2 bags of leg quarters while still on sale. I now have 25 leg quarters to cook tomorrow (WED). Is there any way to double-deck the grill. I read about fire bricks at times--how do you rig these up. Do I need such?[p]Thanks for any help.

Comments

• I hope it's ok to followup my own note-- After I finally got to write my note and post it, I go back to forum and see the part where the fire-bricks are explained. Are the firebricks on the original EGG rack, or on an "after-market" one. Will they harm the enameled finish?[p]
    That still leaves double-decking cooking. Any ideas?

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    GM,[p]I put a Weber 18 inch grill on the fire ring, then the bricks and then the BGE grill. I have read that you must be careful not to chip the BGE grill. [p]Try a rib rack or two, and that may give you more surface area. Or else cook em in batches, and keep them covered in a empty cooler (warm with hot water first) covered in foil and wrap em in a towel.[p]I plan on getting the BGE grill extender (look at the top of the forum page and click on "what's new". Hope this helps.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    bruce1a.jpg
    <p />GM,
    first of all welcome to da' family!
    I recommend u take Teslamania's advice...he knows his BGE cookin' like i know my rock n roll! Enjoy your EGG and keep us posted!
    ST(and a place to be)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Teslamania, your advice is correct..try and use a auxillary grill such as the Weber 18 inch or any other steel grill for the lower grill. Use two or three firebricks on edge around the perimeter to set the next grill on. If you can use two of the Webers with handles on so you can rotate the grills if you need to when doing this many quarters at one time "Old Dave" posted a triple decker home made grill that he uses and maybe he will advise also.
    Hope this helps, and good luck!
    C~W[p]

• 5contbge2Mvc-024e.jpg
    <p />GM,[p]I use two 18-1/2 inch Weber grids with handles along with the grill extender from BGE. The drip pan in from K-Mart.
    With a little threaded rod, some fender washers, and some nuts, you got yourself one fine setup.[p]I can cook up to 10 racks of loin backs, 4 pork butts, and 4 small brisket flats at one time.[p]The top rack just lifts off when you need to baste or mop. A fellow could probably buy it all new with the hardware for about $45-50 dollars. [p]Works great---now if I can get the picture up.[p]Old Dave

• I forgot that the rib racks were in the picture. That would add about $25.00 more to the price.[p]The top rack is also adjustable in height although I don't change it much. I am going to add a third grid for a jerky cook in the near future.[p]Old Dave

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Its no wonder you and C~W hit it off so good! You did a fantastic job with the set-up and pictures! It takes the guess work out of the set-up and gives a typical DIY'er a good place to start![p]Again, great job![p]Dr. Chicken

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    GM,[p]Old Dave's setup is the best I've seen yet for serious high volume cooking. It might be tough to assemble all of this for your chicken quarter cook tonite. Another alternative is to stop by a Target Store and pick up a pack of stackable cookie racks. They are 10" by 14" and come 3 to the package for $7. They stack in 4 inch vertical increments and 2 of them on the main grid will more than double the big Eggs capacity.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]That's a hell of a nice job and a tribute to the ingenuity of the BGE family. I'm gonna build me one of those.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    Options
    KennyG, I agree and also a good tip..I use them too and they work great on cut up chicken. Easily rotated also. The ones I have are coated and clean up fast and easy.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, ain't that guy good or what?? Again, super job on that triple home run Dave!
    C~W[p]

• KennyG
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]What dya think of Old Dave's setup? Pretty ingenious eh?[p]
    K~G

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Dave Could you give me a little mor detail on how the drill rods hold the grills up? You can e-mail me direct if you wish. that is a superior job on a great way to handle large loads. Looks like you can take the top grill off and it sets on the four drill rods. Don't even need a plate setter. [p]Thanks in advance[p]MAC