Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burping

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased my first egg and would like to try to cook some steaks on it. However my buddy said that even burping at 600 degrees is dangerous because no matter how little you lift the lid fire shoots out the side. Any comments, thanks in advance

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    He is wrong. I have had my BGE up to 900 degrees cooking pizza or steaks. Small "burps" of the Egg do not cause fire to shoot out anywhere. You do need to be careful & burp 3 - 4 times. I also use welders gloves I bought at HD.

Besides if you don't have flare ups you just aren't cooking.... :evil:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    if you have not cooked on your egg alot i would rec omend you wait..... if you wait 6-10 cooks on a new gasket you will have less chance of scortching your gasket... if you wait it will give the glue holding the gasket a little bit more of a chance to "cure" ;)

now flashback is something you will always have to watch out for here is a link to Flashback

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Flames aren't likely to be shooting out unless there is a grease fire. But there will be lots of really hot air. When cooking at searing temperatures, its good to have on gloves, and long sleeves. Just a few seconds over an 800 degree fire can be unpleasant.

You do need to burp the Egg several times, especially if you are seeing any smoke. Any un-burned volatile chemicals will flash above 500. However, lots of Eggers consider a flashback sort of a rite of passage. They're startling, but other than burning off fore arm hair, don't seem to be much of a hazard (Careful, don't drop the beer.)

If your Egg is new, the gasket adhesive may not be completely set-up. Cook for awhile under 500. After a few cooks, there is less chance that the gasket will give way, or that it will stick together.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i just lift a half inch, hold it for a second or two then open. at high searing temps i wear gloves. ive never been burned by a flashback, but ive lost arm hair. steam is a different story, lower temps and a pot of stew or a drip pan full of wine under a turkey will steam up and that steam burn will hurt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Personally, I don't burp because burping can ruin the old "felt" gasket. I think you should just open the vents wide open for 10 seconds or so, and then slowly open the dome. I haven't used the nomex gasket, so maybe it is ok with nomex. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Ok, it's not like The Whiz needs me to validate his opinion, but. . . On my first few high temp cooks I did the burping thing. Even doing some small, multiple burps I still saw some scorching of the gasket, and on the time or two I did it without a glove I experienced a bit of scorching on yours truly.

I started doing the Whiz Method of opening the vents and now I'm sold on that. Just to keep the universe in balance, I burp while I'm opening the vents
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Bente is definitely right.

You need to wait a good number of cooks before you start cookign at high temps.

Take a look through recent posts. There have been quite a few EGGs sealed by the glue because this was not followed.

Greg
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    If scorched hair is a right of passage then so be it. I got distracted on a 500 deg. cook, opened the lid and lost the eyelashes part of the eyebrows and what little is left on the front of my head. Now I open the vents and re- adjust, most everything will grow back except for the head so I would like to keep it.
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    I'm with Dan in STL about TNW. He's the guru.

My experience with burping was hit or miss. Sometimes I would get a flash back anyway so I have started doing the "open the vents" thing and it is definitely safer for hair and skin and a lot more reliable. I just start the process about 15 seconds before I want to open, I get a nice puff of flaming gas out the top (open it first or you might get a flashback through the lower vent), then I open up and do my steak thing.

This is speaking with about 6 years of experience with hi-temp cooking. Gosh I'm getting to be an old timer around here.

HH
  • Pitmaster
    Pitmaster Posts: 74
    Options
    "Any un-burned volatile chemicals will flash above 500"? Volatile chemicals in the egg? Sure we should be cooking with this thing?
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Pitmaster wrote:
    "Any un-burned volatile chemicals will flash above 500"? Volatile chemicals in the egg? Sure we should be cooking with this thing?

Everybody knows that Eggs are made from from a composite of asbestos and lead and then they are slathered with a thick layer of benzene and dioxin. . JUST KIDDING. :woohoo:

The volatile chemicals (organic compounds) referred to above are a natural process of the early stages of burning FRESH lump.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the great answers. Follow up question the Naked Whiz guy saib instead of burping you can just open up the vents all the way and open dome slowly. I am a first timer so bear with me but are'nt the vents already open to get the grill to 500 or 600 degrees. Thanks again I am sure I will have plenty f more questions.