Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great news for all of us Brisket eaters!

Options
Chrisinhouston
Chrisinhouston Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5741185.html

From the folks at Texas A&M

A tasty tidbit: Beef brisket is good for you
A&M scientists say corn-fed cattle yield meat that's high in healthy fat

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Trouble is,thanks to all the tree-huggers,
    much of our corn is being grown for fuel while animals are dining on grain instead.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not being confrontational here, but... I'm a member of the Izaak Walton league, sort of old school tree huggers, and I think using grain for fuel is insanity.

And I'll take my brisket either corn or grass fed. A mix is especially nice.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Point is, we wouldn't be in this mess if we tapped our own, massive oil resources.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    holy smokes, an aggie saying good things about a longhorn..........LOL. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That was a quick one.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Wonder how tender BEVO would be if it were barbequed. All it does is stand around, may be pretty tender.
  • Shoosh
    Shoosh Posts: 19
    Options
    The scientists at A&M are wrong. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time they are wrong though. The aggies are against anything natural or organic since the funding for their research comes from all the ag companies and by proxy--the big oil companies.
    Eating cattle that are grass fed only is the healthiest beef and has the optimum ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Its more expensive but I rather pay a rancher now than a doctor years from now because of health problems.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    talk lately about grain vs. corn feed beef, not sure about about astro turf feed beef......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    And your PhD in Animal Science comes from where?

Shoosh wrote:
    The scientists at A&M are wrong. It's not the first time and it won't be the last time they are wrong though. The aggies are against anything natural or organic since the funding for their research comes from all the ag companies and by proxy--the big oil companies.
    Eating cattle that are grass fed only is the healthiest beef and has the optimum ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Its more expensive but I rather pay a rancher now than a doctor years from now because of health problems.
  • No PhD. Just learned from various ranchers here in Texas. You can either do that or read about it at www.texasgrassfedbeef.com
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    No offense, and while I have not read the thesis from this young Aggie researcher, but not sure I want to take the word of a site selling grass fed beef over that of the research contained in the thesis.

I recall from my slaughter lab days that the whole topic of grass vs. grain fed ruminants as a pretty hot one - both in terms of nutrition and flavor, texture etc. There was plenty of "evidence" on both sides of the equation. The cow's four stomachs can take grass and create a high quality protein without the cost of grain; however, it takes a hell of a lot of pasture land to do so.

I'm willing to give the research a chance to stand on it's own, despite differing opinions from Texas Cattle Ranchers or anyone else. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that doctors we're telling everybody that Margarine was "better for you" than butter.....until they found those little trans fats. Now it's a toss up to many of the "experts".

Sorry for the challenge, and not flaming anyone - I just think it may be a little hasty to declare the research "wrong."

In any event, pretty sure it won't keep me from eating brisket - albeit, of the extra lean variety!

Sh=oo-sh wrote:
    No PhD. Just learned from various ranchers here in Texas. You can either do that or read about it at www.texasgrassfedbeef.com
  • No offense taken- I never read any emotion in an email. I know your stance will never change because of your education. I do have one question. How many of your classmates grass finish their cattle? Its probably close to zero. And there is a simple reason. Your educators are paid by ag companies and they want you to finish with grain to keep their funding. If all ranchers and farmers used nonsynthetic chemicals and grass finished their livestock, there would be no need for scientific research and/or funding at universities. Its about dollars and I understand that. I will still support sustainable cattle ranchers here in Texas because its whats right. I hope one day if you haven't already, talk to one of these ranchers and get maybe a little broader perspective.
  • spiritspr
    spiritspr Posts: 1
    Options
    The ethanol crazyness gained most of its support from Governors of corn-growing states who saw it as an economic development tool. Environmentalists figured out long ago that ethanol costs more and produces as much green house gasses as oil. While iethanol has made a change in many state economies, the unintended consequences of the governors' short-sidedness has led to this story... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042903092.html?sub=AR

Meanwhile, grants and federal support for research into alternative fuels that actually make sense suffers...
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I don't think I'm the only one whose education is influencing my point of view, as it's pretty apparent your mind won't change either. For the record, I have a degree in Economics, not Ag Econ, Econ. Given the occupation in your profile, it doesn't surpirse me you are pretty commited to your point of view here as well.

I also much prefer non-sythetically fed/produced/treated in everything I eat. However; I'm not going to close my mind to new research, especially that of a thesis - which is unfunded by nature. For you to declare the Aggie "wrong" without reading the paper, based on yout belief that all research from universities is tainted, makes me feel pretty open minded.

Sh=oo-sh wrote:
    No offense taken- I never read any emotion in an email. I know your stance will never change because of your education. I do have one question. How many of your classmates grass finish their cattle? Its probably close to zero. And there is a simple reason. Your educators are paid by ag companies and they want you to finish with grain to keep their funding. If all ranchers and farmers used nonsynthetic chemicals and grass finished their livestock, there would be no need for scientific research and/or funding at universities. Its about dollars and I understand that. I will still support sustainable cattle ranchers here in Texas because its whats right. I hope one day if you haven't already, talk to one of these ranchers and get maybe a little broader perspective.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    I agree with you.....not to mention the fact that the corn price surge is converting acre after acre of native wetlands into croplands at a pretty quick pace! Not good for those ducks!

spiritspr wrote:
    The ethanol crazyness gained most of its support from Governors of corn-growing states who saw it as an economic development tool. Environmentalists figured out long ago that ethanol costs more and produces as much green house gasses as oil. While iethanol has made a change in many state economies, the unintended consequences of the governors' short-sidedness has led to this story... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042903092.html?sub=AR

Meanwhile, grants and federal support for research into alternative fuels that actually make sense suffers...