Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long Should I Cook Pizza?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone! We are about to try our first pizza on the Big Green Egg. What we would like to know is this: 1) At what temperature do we cook the pizza, and 2) How long do we cook the pizza? As this is our first attempt and we were caught in a short notice situation, we are using a frozen Tombstone pizza. Any and all suggestions will be GREATLY appreicated! Thanks and Happy Father's Day to all... Deb

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Deb,
    I have never cooked a frozen pizza on the egg (always do fresh), but I beleive you just follow the directions on the package.[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Deb,
    I know others have tried frozen but I haven't.
    For my pizza, I heat the plate setter/pizza stone combo to about 600* for 20 mins or so, then slide the pie on. Should take 10-12 minutes.
    Let me know how it comes out.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Deb,
    In case it is not too late, use the temperature on the box. I cooked some DiGiorno's at 650, 600, 550 and the crust always burned if I preheated the stone to a stable temp. (I believe in preheating so that you know what the temperature of the stone is.) DiGiorno says 450 and that is what I use. Spin also recommends putting it on a grid on top of the stone, as I remember. But, you can't go wrong if you preheat to the box temperature and keep an eye on it.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Deb,
    Shelby is right, about 600° to 650° for about ten to twelve minutes for a store-bought frozen pizza. I assume you have a pizza stone and a plate setter or those times and temps may be off quite a bit if you are using a metal cookie sheet or something. [p]My wife and I like DeGernos Supreme. I first tried cooking it according to the instructions but there is a big difference in cooking in the Egg and cooking in your regular kitchen oven. [p]The stone and a very hot temperature is about as close as we can get to doing it like a pizza restaurant does it. You can add smoking chips if you like but I think you will like the flavor you get from plain lump. It tends to have a flavor of its own that enhances the flavor of the pizza.[p]Another nice feature of cooking a pizza at high temperature on the Egg, is by the time you finish the first one, a second one is ready to eat. You can keep 'em going all night.[p]We are very happy with the Egg and DeGerno's pizza, so we really don't plan to start making our own from scratch anytime soon. [p]Good luck.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA