Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decision, To Egg or not to Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been looking at that green grill called the egg. Are they all that, what size, pricey at large when there are only two of us to grill for except for grilling for company about once a month, usually around 8 people. Is everyone just tickled green about their grill?.....[p]Beers to all,
Angela

Comments

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    akuprion,
    A picture speaks a thousand words.

[ul][li]Ravnhaus BBQ Site[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    akuprion,
    They work well for me. Click the link below for a thread that will point you to some egger websites...complete with highly appetizing photos.[p]Good luck getting up and Qing quickly...whatever you decide.[p]Chris

[ul][li]egger websites[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Angela,[p]I understand how you feel. There's just the wife and me, too. It's worth the price, believe me. First of all, just about every item is warrantied forever. No other grill makes that kind of offer, so unless you drop the darn thing you'll never have to buy another grill. It's versatile. You can cook low and slow or fast and hot. With any other type of grill you'd need two units to cover both of those bases. BUT, you can do more -- can you bake bread or make pizzas on a Weber? You can BBQ all winter, too. A definate plus here in Missouri.[p]I've not had one single regret since buying one a little over a year ago. In fact, I bought another one (a mini) in February. Pricey? Maybe, but worth the price.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Kelly Keefe,
    I am off to buy an egg and become an egg head. do you have the large or medium egg? Please advise.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    akurpion,[p]Good advice from all. I have a medium (and a mini). The medium is great for the two of us (the fife and me), but I find myself wanting more spage when we entertain (maybe anoter egg will join the family).[p]smokey.gif
  • Kelly Keefe
    Angela,[p]I bought a large. It's big for everyday cooking, but it's like closet space in your house -- better too much than too little in my book. And remember, sometimes you're cooking for a crowd and will need the extra grill space. If, like me, you eventually feel a little silly firing up the beast for a couple of brats and dogs you can always fit a small or mini in the mix later. As you will soon see, lots of folks here have multiple sizes of Eggs. (And you know what, when I bought my mini it was the first time my wife DIDN'T roll her eyes when I brought home a new grill or tell me I had to get rid of one -- grin!)[p]I really think you'll be pleased with your decision.[p]Kelly
  • Kelly Keefe
    Angela,[p]One last thing. I'd ask the dealer about delivery and set-up. A large is pretty heavy and while set-up isn't tough, there ARE a couple of tricks. The dealer here will NOT sell an Egg they don't set-up. It might cost a couple of bucks more, but ask anyway. OK?[p]Kelly

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    akurpion,[p]I would recommend you consider the large Egg. The large is nice as it can easily do everything from 20+ hour slow cooks to baking bread or pizza. It has almost 50% more cooking area than the medium Egg.[p]Spin
  • Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    akuprion,
    I'd be willing to bet that you will increase your Q'ing by at least 50%, I did. I basically limited my grilling to the summer months and before I purchased an egg, i Q'd three to five times a month. After purchasing my egg, there are times when I do that in a week. Before, I never thought about grilling in the winter months but now that i own an egg, I grill year round. There are two things the egg has going for it imo, first the ease of operation and second, the results. I know you can get dang good results using other type cookers, but for some reason, I was never able to master the technique, maybe it was because in my mind I had better things to do than spend hours and hours learning how to cook on more conventional cookers. If you are looking for a cooker that is virtually idiot proof, easy to operate, resulting in incredible food, then look no further. You have found it!