Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the advantage?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used horizontal smokers with great success. I don't see the advantage of these expensive and small smokers. I have seen these in a few stores and find even the (Great Big Large Egg!!)to be rather small. The advantage certainly isn't the price. In addition I have seen a great difference in price from store to store. One store in Lodi N.J. quoted a price for the large to be $580 and another in Clifton N.J. quoted $700. Can someone explain why I would want one of these?

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Steve Sherban, Some of your questions might be answered here.As far as prices go, as in any purchase definitely shop around.

[ul][li]Should I Buy an Egg?[/ul]
  • I would like to know , how long the initial amout of coal usually lasts, as I am getting the impression that it lasts longer than most cookers, and how do you add more coal?

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Rob,
    Link below is from yesterday.
    To add more coal you have to remove grid to feed the fire or use a hinged grill like a weber has. Never had to add though as you fill to the max to begin and you'll get 20 hrs plus with the large at 250°, less with the higher temps, but I don't know what you'd cook at high temps for along time to use up all the fuel. Multiple pizza cooks a possibility, but others have done them and never mentioneed having to refuel during one cooking session.

[ul][li]How Long[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Steve Sherban,
    As for the price differences...one is probably base price with no extras...like the nest and shelves, stainless steel vent, upgraded hinnge, daisy wheel top vent. But that's just a guess on my part.
    I've never had to add charcoal in the middle of a cook. You typically add a little fresh charcoal like you would any other charcoal grill....when you first light it. With the egg, however, you don't usually burn up all the coal, so you can reuse the unburned pieces. I will say that the brouchure from BGE says a bag of charcoal will last for like months. I guess it could if you only cooked once a week or so and didn't do any long or high temp cooks. You will use less than you are currently using but more than they claim.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Steve Sherban,[p]The big advantage is the moistness [is that a word?] of the meat on the Egg. A horizontal metal smoker, even if you add water, dehydrates the meat because the metal conducts a lot of heat. So you have to add more heat to cook the meat than you would in a ceramic smoker. I've had food cooked on both, and there is a substantial difference, especially for chicken and fish.[p]Also, the Egg can be used as a high temp grill, which you can't do on a horizontal metal smoker.[p]On the other hand, you can do a whole pig on one of those really big horizontal metal jobs. The Egg is limited to about fifteen pounds of meat, I'd say. Enough for a big party, but not for a wedding.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Steve Sherban,
    It is not just a smoker. You can grill, smoke and bake. And all the other things you can read about on this website and those of other owners.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz