Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

He may have been plucked . . .

Options
djm5x9
djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
But fortunately, feathers grow back. Welcome back, Dr. Chicken!

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Thank you Darrel! It is great to be back! A little slower, but the alternative just was totally out of the question![p]Dr. Chicken

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Glad to have you back.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Your description pretty well fits exactly how I feel right now! Very descriptive![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, Welcome back and good to see ya crowing and scratchin again :-)
    Cheers..stay well..C~W[p]

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Welcome back, Doc! Good to see you're back in fightin' form. No dietary requirements I hope! What's the first thing you're going to Egg up for us upon recuperation?
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    I don't know yet! I do know I spent nearly $135.00 on meat yesterday, and I've still got to buy a couple of STR's (standing rib roasts)! Money still don't go as far as it should![p]I've got some ideas, I'll let you all know what's on the agenda![p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]
    p.s.: Thanks for the welcome back!

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Thanks C~W!
    I'm a little slow and feeble to begin with, but give me a few days, and I'll be back up to "snuff"! (Or is that sniff?) :-)))[p]Yuk! Yuk![p]Dr. Chicken

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Your post and great Egging ideas were missed aroud here! Welcome back "home". As for how you're feeling, something good on the Egg is sure to help![p]Smokey
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Smokey,
    Not nearly as much as I missed all of you! I thought I been havin' a relapse, since I've been almost delirious just thinkin' about gettin' back to the Egg! Thankgoodness the Doc regonized what was going on and included that in the RDx for going home! Now the question is, "Where do I start?"[p]Dr. Chicken

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I made some really good wings the other day (they're a bit spicy ... don't know if you are up for hot wings yet).[p]Sauce:
    2 cups Red Hot hot sauce
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 tablespoons vinegar (Steve uses white vinegar with jalepeno peppers, onions, etc.)
    Stick of butter [p]Combine ingredients and warm on stove or in microwave, then put in spray bottle and set aside. [p]Seasonings:
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Italian seasoning
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup paprika
    1/4 cup dried rosemary
    2 tablespoons of red pepper (more or less to taste) [p]The above should be enough for 5 or 7 pounds of wings. Rinse and drain 5 to 7 pounds wings. Pour some of the Red Hot hot sauce over them, and toss. Add seasoning mixture (above) until generously coated. You will lose some in the cooking, so don't skimp! Place the wings on the Egg and slow cook them at a low temperature (250 to 325 degrees). After 20 minutes baste/mist with sprayer at least every 10 minutes. Flip them after you mist them. Total cooking time should be around 1 to 2 hours, depending on the heat of the Egg. [p][p]

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Smokey,
    DAMN! Those sounds Good! I made up a batch of wings last night -- around lunch time, I washed and dried about three pounds of wings. Sprinkled them with cayenne, onion, garlic, paprika, kosher salt, white pepper and black pepper. I rubbed all that stuff in the place the wings in a bowl and coated them with buttermilk.[p]I smoked that on the EGG over hickory chunks and chips for around 45 minutes starting at 250 and finishing at 375. I don't want a visit from Mr. Sal Monella. Sal is not my friend.[p]Anyhow, they turned out pretty good! The next time I think I used this recipe as a start and then "batter" with Chef RD's mix (plus double spices) and then EGG. You sauce looks like it'll make a wonderful mop![p]I'll post the results once I get 'roun' to it.[p]Vanderbilt is one terrible basketball team.[p]Bama Fire

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    If you & Smokey don't mind, I'll answer you both at once!
    I'm stickin' my feathery neck out a long ways dis time! I've got our Pastor and his wife coming over for Ruben Sandmiches on Friday evening. I know she loves cornedbeef this way, and so do I. Also, add to the fact of my own cornedbeef brisket and home made Rye bread, it will be delicious! Now comes da problemo! Our Pastor has never tasted cornedbeef or sauerkraut and my wife doesn't remember tasting it either! (She has, but just can't remember it!) Now you got to stop & realize, he is not especially fond of veggies or new stuff either! I have to hang a sign when we have them over, to remind him to eat all "his veggies"! His wife loves it too! She grew up on veggies and can't understand anyone not liking them! My wife was the same way when we got married 30+ yrs. ago! Now, she keeps quite about them most of the time, until she has given them a good old college try! And she finds she usually likes them!
    Anyway, to please them both, I figured I'd make some wings after the cornedbeef brisket is done. Now, I'm askin' both of ya! Which recipe or combination there-of is gona work best for some wusses? I know my wife is squimish about hot stuff and so is our Pastor! (Me? The hotter the better! If it ain't eatin' thru the fork, it surely ain't hot enough to tickle my taste buds!) KOC puts buttermilk on all this sort of stuff! My tastes preferences tend to go in his direction. But, what does the buttermilk do to the wings? Bama Fire! Does your method result in a spicey but scrumpsious wing? (I prefer to call them Yahoo-Wings! Always have!) Spiceyness is fine, just can't have them overly hot! Smokey, your recipe has quite a bit of "hot sauce" in it. I use "Frank's Original Redhot Cayenne Pepper Sauce" and "Tobasco" frequently in my cookin'. But, 2 cups of Red Hot sauce sounds like a bunch to me, and then you add the chili powder, paprika and more red pepper...WOW! Am I gona put them down for the count?[p]Well, you both can see my delima! Help me out guys! I may be recovering, but I don't want to blow my "reputation" totally to "smitherings"! This is jist a warm up to some serious cookin'! I gotta get off on the right foot though![p]Thanks, Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    You can't go wrong with Tanker Tim's Okinawan Wing recipe. Mainly Garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, sugar. Add heat as desired. Slightly sweet, but succulent and wonderful.[p]225 direct for an hour. Flip every 10 or 15 minutes, but quickly so the fire doesn't get too hot and burn them. You want a nice slow caramelization. Gfw puts a second grid on top of the wings when he is ready to flip them, and flips both racks with the wings in between...all at once.[p]Good luck
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ