Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or X-Large?!?!?!

Options
fsmith
fsmith Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wasn't sure it was going to happen but it looks like I'll be able to swing one of the demo eggs from the Waldorf Egg-Fest this weekend. I need to get my order in ASAP but wanted to know if there are any reasons other than price not to go with the XL vs. a large egg?

thanks,
fred

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I would see if you could swing a large and small combo rather than the XLG. It is about the same price.

This will allow you to have two cooking surfaces at different temperatures. I find myself wanting to make multiple things on the EGG but at different temps.

My personal opinion.

Greg
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I am very pleased with my Large.I have been able to just about anything with a large. I would say the downside to have a XL is the amount of charcoal it would take just to do something quick or small. it will probably add up quick. But if thats not an issue, bigger is better.
    -Barrett
    Woodstock, Ga
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Fred...depends on how many folks you are going to cook for. I did 5 racks of BB ribs on my large yesterday. It was a little tight but I was able to keep the ribs apart. Used a grid extender..2 racks on top 3 below. Rotated after three hours. Fed 8 adults and 6 kids...could not find any ribs this AM. (Ribs came from Sams club)
    Bob
    Alex City, Al :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I have theLg. Sm. combo and love it!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I am definitely hoping to join that club in 2008!!

BTW, how do you work on your small EGG? Do you use a nest or a table?

Greg
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I love my combo!
    DSCN1598-1.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Welcome to the "CULT" Go into the search forum box and type "X Large" This subject is everywhere with great answers. I have a large and small and have cooked for 20 with propper planning and also can do one nice steak on the snall.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I can tell you as a dealer that is selling these things every day that most people buy and are totally pleased with the Large Egg. It has more Eggcessories available (BGE and aftermarket) and seems to just work the best for most people. XL buyers sometimes regret it because it IS a different animal ... it has it's place for sure but for most people the Large is the way to go ...can I suggest a Large and my ALL TIME FAVORITE THE MINI !! :whistle:
    Happy Eggin.
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    I'm another owner of the Large and Small. We pack up our Large for BBQ competitions, and it's already heavy enough. I know a team that uses the XL, and they're one of the best teams out there, but I just can't imagine us packing that sucker into our minivan!

You can do a lot on a Large. Every competition, we cook two butts over a brisket, and then do two or three racks of ribs over a dozen thighs. That's usually about 35 pounds of meat. Do you really think you'll need to cook more than that at any time?

Like others have said, the Small is awesome for cooking steaks, and it's great when you want to cook items at two different temperatures and have them ready at the same time.

Enjoy all the fun at Waldorf, and the many great years you'll get out of your Egg!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    I have the large, small and Mini in nests.
  • fsmith
    fsmith Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful information... It sounds like a large is the way to go as well as looking into a small one down the road.

I just faxed my order over to Seasonal Distributors, I can't wait until Saturday now.

thanks again!
    fred
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Options
    Since no XL owners are chiming in, I will! I faced your decision a few months ago. My Dad offered to buy me any egg I wanted. I settled on the XL because of the increased grid space. There's just something about not having to work with multiple levels or grills to get the job done for a crowd. The friend that got me into Egging regrets not having the option to buy an XL when he got his Large. And the charcoal usage is there, but it's like an SUV. You don't buy it for the fuel economy. You buy it for what it can do with that size!

That being said, there are definitely times where I wish it didn't take as long to heat up. I'll usually cook our main meal plus enough for lots of leftovers because our schedule is so busy. I also will sometimes put the old gas grill (!!!) to use for side dishes or the occasional quick burgers or chicken breasts. I'll no doubt buy a small or medium someday too. :)

Here's a few pics of XL grid space being used:

Kabobs for 8-10 people.
    Kabobs1.JPG

Rosemary Garlic pork loin and baked potatos for 8 hungry college students.
    RosemaryLoinwithsides.JPG
  • Mahi-Mahi
    Mahi-Mahi Posts: 162
    Options
    I have a Xl and I cooked chicken hind quarters last night. It took me 12 minutes to get it up to 375 and another 40 to cook the chicken.

I like laying out my ribs flat. With egg accessories flip ring, and hanger you can do a lot of different things.

It is going to take more fuel when you have to heat up 205 pounds. From what I hear it cooks differently than the large. I think I have to raise my pizza stone up higher to get good browning on the Pizza.

I personally think if you do a lot of grilling you will like the XL with the elevated grid and indirect heat.

I do not worry that much about the amount of charcoal I use. It seems the cost is not a lot different than the cost of using LP. With the Holland grill I have uses a LOT of LP

I have not had one failure other than the chicken that the skin was too rubbery for my wife and I cured that with corn starch the next time. If I did competiton I would not want to have to haul a 200 pound egg around.
    I also want to grill more fish and we have 12 people in our group and want to have it done at the same time and it takes a lot of grate space.