Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Sausage and Peppers - Lots of Pics

Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow. This was good. I've played with this recipe for a bit and finally think I found one I can live with.

INGREDIENTS:
• 2 lbs. mild Italian sausage links
• 2 yellow onions, chopped coarsely
• 2 green bell pepper, frenched into 1-2" pieces
• 2 red bell pepper, frenched into 1-2" pieces
• 2 bay leaves
• 5 cloves garlic - minced
• 14 oz can diced tomatoes - undrained
• 6 oz can tomato paste
• 1/2-3/4 cup dry red wine
• 1 Tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
• 1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves - chopped
• 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves – chopped
• 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
PREPARATION:
Cook sausage direct until browned, turning occasionally. Allow sausages to cool and slice in ½” - ¾” sections on a bias. Layer half of the onions on bottom of 3-4 quart Dutch oven, then add half of the peppers. Add all of the sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers. Add bay leaves, crushed red pepper, and garlic.
Combine diced undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine in small bowl and mix well to blend. Pour over mixture in Dutch oven. Cook indirect at 325* for 4-6 hours.
One hour before mixture is done, mix together parsley, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper. Add to Dutch oven and stir well.
Serve over a bed of rotini, gemelli, farfalle, or penne pasta with fresh grated parmesan-reggiano and a nice crusty Italian loaf.

RawVeg800.jpg

Sausages800.jpg

SausageLayered800.jpg

OnEgg800.jpg

FourHoursIn800.jpg

Done800.jpg

Plated800.jpg

Comments