Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket for 12-15 people, how much & how long?

Options
Chad
Chad Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This next weekend I'll be having some people over and promised to do a brisket. I've told them show up around 6:00pm and food should be good to go shortly after.

What size brisket would you guys do? and what time would you put it on the grill for 6:00 eating?

I was thinking 14lb brisket, and starting it at 10:00pm the night before.

I'll also be cooking some other things, but brisket is the one thing I'm worried about.

Thanks

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would think that would be plenty of brisket.

I would start it earlier. if it gets done even 5 hours before you plan to eat, you can wrap and cooler it before slicing. At 1.5 hours per pound it will probably take 20-21 hours. It may go faster or it may take longer. Briskets are funny like that. The one thing you can do if you get in a pinch is wrap it in foil after it breaks the plateau and bump the heat a little to 275 or so. Add some broth or other liquid and it should be fine.
  • Captain Obvious
    Options
    I egged my first 13.5lb brisket this weekend. Mine spent 15 hours on the egg. The temp did creep up to 275 for a couple hours, but it was pretty close to 225 most of the time.

I trimmed off 3lbs and 4oz of fat from the brisket before cooking, which means total cooking weight was a little over 10lbs. Therefore the 1.5 hours per pound was almost dead on for post trimmed weight.

FYI, this was a packers cut. I didn't seperate the point from the flat until after the flat was done. I left roughly 1/4 inch of fat on. I followed someone elses advice and placed it fat side down with the point at the back of the egg, and I'm pleased with the results. I did foil at 170F, and it seems most suggest doing so at around 165F.

I think your start time of 10PM sounds reaonable if your brisket is 10 to 11 pounds trimmed. If it's 14lbs trimmed, then I agree with Fidel that you need to start earlier.