Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt/brisket question

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my biggest cook ever starting tomorrow night. Presently I have 37 lbs of boston butt, five 7lb+, with rub and mustard wrapped in the fridge. I also have a whole, 14 lb brisket. My plan is to do three butts on one egg(one over two using a grid extender) and two butts and probably half the brisket on another egg. The questions are... is cooking a brisket over butts a good idea? Is there any tricks to spliting a brisket into two pieces or can I just whack in in half. I am planning on firing them up at 9 tomorrow evening to eat around 5 on Sunday. Any comments, suggestions or advice would be appreciated. [p]Thanks Chuck <><

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Chuck, I think I've heard folks recommend the reverse of what you're asking: they find cooking butts over brisket will help baste the brisket a bit.
    Qfan

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Chuck,
    You might wanna start your cook a little bit earlier than that. I've found that when I pack my Egg like that, an expected 18-20 hour cook can last upwards of 24 hours.

• Chuck
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]Thanks, do you think 6:00 would be about right or sooner?

• Chuck
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Thanks, i'll try to pu one butt over a butt and brisket.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Chuck,
    What temp are you planning to cook at?

• Chuck
    Options
    Citizen Q,[p]225* is what I usually use. I use an inverted plate setter so dome and grid are pretty close after the ceramics heat up so that is a dome temp.
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Chuck,
    I do my low and slows at 200 degrees through the plateau, then up to 250 for the last hour or two, averaging 18 to 20 hours total for a single brisket or shoulder. When I do a shoulder over a brisket together, it's at least 24 hours, and one time 27 hours, but they were really big and I was really drunk.[p]If you're starting out at 250 though, as many here do, you'll probably have to adjust for a longer cook than normal, but I don't think you'll run over by as much as I do. So an extra 3 hours should probably do it.[p]And how come you're skimping on the brisket anyway? Cook the whole damn thing with the pork above on the grid extender. Fill that lump right up halfway into the fire ring and you might wanna hang a foil drip pan under the main grid with piano wire, you don't want that much grease hitting the coals.[p]Good Luck,
    C~Q