Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket's on. Whatcha all cooking today?

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got up at 4:30am to start a 5 lb flat. Rubbed it with Cowlick and wrapped in plastic wrap for an overnight marination. Two handfuls of Jack Daniels Oak chips are providing the smoke. Put her in the Egg at 6am. Trying a new set up to save some of the drippings for a dipping sauce. I'll pull when it's ready and do a cooler rest until serving time. Shooting for a 5 to 6pm serving time. Ranch style beans, coleslaw, Gates BBQ sauce and a few other goodies will complete the meal.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Baby back ribs, potatoe salad, corn on the cob, and baked beans, in Abita.
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    I'm doing ClayQ's BBQ Beef again. Just did it a couple weeks ago for the first time and liked it so much I'm doing it again. Plus, the chuck roasts are on sale again this week! I will be adding some cole slaw and Egged potato wedges to finish off the meal. The beef is cooking faster than the last time so we will be eating around 5pm.

P4120039.jpg

P4130048.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    We are firing up for a 6 hr cook right now.

Chuck Roast aka spoon roast with mashed potatoes & gravey. We will have some quartered potatoes, onions and carrots which will cook in with the roast.

Mouth is watering right now.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    But it won't be on the Egg. -RP
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Thanks for the reminder about this fantastic dish. The batch in your pictures looks great!
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    That's some great stuff! I think I need to have Chinese this week.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    After reading the replies, my mouth is watering too!
  • Enderz
    Enderz Posts: 3
    Came across a 10lb Boston Butt at the store on Friday on sale for .59 cents/lb.

Rubbed it with a little Stubbs BBQ rub and put it on the Egg around midnight.

Cooked it at 200-250 for 14 1/2 hrs until the internal temp got up to 190F then held it in a cooler wrapped in foil until dinnertime over at my in-laws around 5PM. Didn't even look at it until 9AM. Temp had dropped to about 180F so I knocked the ash off the coals and added some new lump. Didn't have any more issues with the temperature and just basted it with some cider vinegar sauce about once and hour for the last 5 hours. Overall it a very easy cook.

This was my first attempt at doing pulled pork and it turned out great! Pulled it apart with my hands (using some dishwashing gloves) and it came apart easily. The whole thing had about a 3/4" pink smoke ring. Served it on sandwiches with a vinegar-based sauce and some chips on the side.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    I am cooking "The Chicken" with some grilled pineapple for dessert ;)B)
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    You can throw away the forks with that long of a cook on a chuck roast.One of my favorites.Might have to bring them out to stab the taters with though.
  • oxymoron
    oxymoron Posts: 2
    Just started lookin' at this forum...already gained 10 lbs. We've had a Medium Green Egg for years, but I wasn't "allowed" to cook on it. The little woman (who, by the way, happens to be an absolutely wonderful cook, albeit mostly italiano & german...) didn't exactly encourage me to expand our culinary experiences, but she is apparently getting tired of doing all the cooking. I've a brisket flat marinating in some concoction gleaned from several sources, which includes Guiness Extra Stout, Hot Sesame Oil, Stubbs Beef marinade, liquid smoke, hot sauce, etc....
    Tomorrow will be the test. I have lump charcoal, a big drip pan, soaked pecan wood chips, a calibrated BGE Thermometer, Poulder meat thermometer, and (hopefully) warm weather. (I'm in South Dakota...)
    ANY suggestions before Monday, April 28 2008, about 9:00 AM MDT (are we on daylight savings time yet? God, I hate changing the time!) will be read, considered, and appreciated!
    Fact is, in my age and physical condition, eating is about the only real sensory pleasure left!
  • Only the second time I will be using my small BGE
    tonight--- 2 potatoes Dr'ed up right
    then the recipie from the direction book
    Prosciutto wrapped Asperagus

oh ya babe!

so far so good
    Dave in Illinois
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've been tweaking this one for a while and I think I have the flavors right. I am doing some authentic Italian sausage and peppers. Not the "serve in a bun" kind but the "serve over a bed of pasta" kind like you get in some of the good family Italian places in St. Louis or Chicago.

It has been prepped and cooking along in the Dutch oven on the egg for a few hours now. A full pictorial will follow tonight if it turns out like I think it will. It is sure smelling good right now.

I am also making a tuscan garlic loaf to go along with it. I'll serve the sausage and peppers over a bed of farfalle pasta and topped with fresh basil and parmesan-reggiano.

I can't wait, should be a good dinner.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I leave the supds & onions in the whole time. Fantastic. We also do some spuds for mashed potatoes with gravy. Hopefully the pictures will turn out ok...

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    We had a great German Deli here. Sadly it got sold and out went the great tasting fool.

By chance does you wife have a good Hot patato salid recipe. Would sure be nice to get a copy if possible.

It looks like you have your cook nailed.

GG
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Cooking pork chops stuffed with msuhrooms, shrimp, italian sausage, onion
    Bacon wrapped asparagus
    Baked potatoes on the EGG-first time for those
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Steaks on the large and zukes and abt's on the small last night.
    3 slabs of ribs on today. Just about to take them off. :cheer:
  • oxymoron
    oxymoron Posts: 2
    Hi GG, the wife pretty much ad-libs her cooking without receipes, does it a little different every time. Never get tired of her cooking.