Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone got some simple recipes for Pork Chops? Are they best cooked quickly at high temps like steak, or smoked at a lower temp? I have some fairly thick ones from Omaha Steaks.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Jamesw,[p]I like mine seasoned with only salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, and then lightly drizzled with olive oil. Also, I like to grill them quickly like a steak. Super simple, and if cooked properly (done but still juicy), the flavor is hard to beat.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,[p]So how does one know that Pork Chops are "Done"? Is it similar to how a steak is in terms of springiness, or is there a temperature to shoot for, or some time-per-side?[p]
  • Cornfed
    Jamesw,[p]I think the USDA says that you should cook pork until 160 internal while many chefs say that 140 is still safe and much more juicy and tasty. Being the simple minded chap that I am, I like to split the difference and aim for around 150.[p]To achieve this, I usually go about 3 or 4 minutes per side on high heat before testing for doneness. Again, this depends on exactly how hot your grill is and how thick the chops are. The Thermapen that YB was using at the past Eggfest would be an ideal tool for these chops or steaks...and I'll have one soon...but my cheapo $6 instant read thermometer does the job OK. Also, I know it's taboo to suggest this, but you can cut into a small piece of your chop and check the color of the insides to test for doneness. Making a small cut will not completely ruin the chop, and if you're worried about that, simply keep the tested chop for yourself and serve the uncut chops to your guests. Depends how much peace of mind you're after.[p]As always, correct me if I'm wrong.[p]The simple pork chop seasonings I'm mentioning are from Jacques Pepin in Cooking at Home (not a BBQ book, but a good cookbook, nonetheless).[p]Pax,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Looking back at my post, I do have to admit that when I'm cooking only for myself, I do often cheat towards 145 internal...[p]Let us know how your chops come out. A few years ago I would have kicked my own butt for saying this, but I honestly do think now that well cooked and simple seasoned thick cut center loin pork chops rival good steaks...[p]Pax,
    Cornfed

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Cornfed,
    AMEN, brother! Brine them bad boys!!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cornfed,[p]I agree with the rival a good steak part. Last month's Cooks Illustrated did an article on pork chops and declared that bone-in, "rib" chops are the tastiest and not loin. [p]Having done some recent experimentation, I've got to agree with them. They also suggest brining for about an hour before grilling. [p]Try Kenny's monster rib chops with a thanks to JAppledog:[p]I like to get them about 1.5 inches thick and marinate in orange juice and a little jerk sauce for a couple of hours. Smoke at 275* (hickory chips) until 140* internal. Cover with foil while you crank the Egg up to 650+*. Dust lightly with Char Crust original hickory blend and then go just one minute or so per side for char marks and to crisp up the outer fat.[p]K~G

• Gator1
    Gator1 Posts: 37
    Porkchop,
    Don't rule out lower and slower. I do 1 inch thick chops 15 minute on a side at 300 degrees. They are just awesome and not the least bit dry. The natural BGE smoke and a little season-all is all I use. I have relatives begging for chops done this way!
    Jim

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    gator1,
    yeah, but they don't get done as quick!!! :o) when i'm HONGRAY i need them chops ASAP!

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    KennyG,[p]Mmmmm.... this sounds good KennyG. My wife really likes pork chops so I may have to try this one this weekend.[p]What jerk sauce do you recommend?[p]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    John,[p]As far as jerk sauce goes, you should be able to find a flavorful and mild (heat wise) sauce at any supermarket. World Market "Blue Mountain" is one such example.[p]Better yet is our own J Appledog's "Mrs. Dog's" sauce. Very tasty and HOT and wonderful. Not easy to find however. You can try Hot Prospects out near Great Northern Mall. I'm completely out, otherwise, I'd provide you some.[p]Walkerswood or Nel's old time will suffice (I guess) if you can't find the good stuff from Julie.[p]K~G