Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2lb. Pork Loin Roast HELP!!!

Options
johnrezz
johnrezz Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a new egger and I need some advice. I have been using my egg for about 2 weeks now with great success. I have been using it primarily as a grill so far cooking chicken breast, steaks and burgers....

I would like ot smoke a 2lb pork loin roast for dinner tonight and have no idea on how to plan the timing.

I plan on going to the store to buy a v rack and a tin drip pan, since I live in the mountains there is no chance of me getting a plate setter so I will have to deal without, I thought I would put the pan on top of the grill with the v rack and roast inside the pan.

What temps and how long do I need to cook it? any other tips would be great

Thanks,

John
Steamboat Springs, Co.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here at sea level I would do indirect some apple wood little wateer in the drip pan to keep the drippings from burning and adding an unpleasant flavor, 350 for about 1 hour - 1 1/2 hours and pull at 145 internal.
  • johnrezz
    Options
    It definatly takes longer up here, I am at 7000 ft., I have never been able to get my egg above 650, I figured it was the lack of oxygen

I thought I needed to cook it around 200 or so for several hours but I like the idea of an 1 - 1 1/2 hours, Does it really make a difference if you cook it lower and slower.

I have a bunch of cherry that I have been using for flavor on steaks and burgers and I thought I would try that out....
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I would smoke it indirect at around 350 to an internal temp of 145/150. Be careful because a pork loin does not have much fat. It will dry out quickly after 150. You might wrap some bacon around the loin to add moisture. Some butterfly the loin and spread some jam on it and roll it all up. I like to do a bone on pork roast to add flavor. Just don't over cook. Some others will chime in soon. Good luck Tom 3020410c.jpgFattiesPorkloin2.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    There is no fat in a loin like a butt and others may have cooked low 'n slow but I like my way. Drap a few pieces of bacon on top for fat and flavor. Cherry is a great flavor also.

Here is a way I do them stuffed.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/07/01

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, butterflyed like a jelly roll. , added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater (MidEast spice blend) to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.
  • johnrezz
    Options
    boy does that sound tasty........ I will have to do that another night, my wife does not like Spinache :)

This is an amazing resource for BGE info..... I put my post on ten min ago and I already have Big Bird directions with pictures...... :)

John
  • johnrezz
    Options
    other questions, How long before grilling do you apply rub, how long do you let it sit out before smoking and how long do you let it sit after you take it off

John
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    Steamboat Springs? Are you going to the western slope eggfest in Grand Junction?

As for the pork loin roast, I would go with Baja Tom on that one but that is a personal preference.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    If stuffing, I usually marinate and place in a gallon ziploc overnight, stuff and then apply seasoning just befor going onto BGE. if not stuffed, will rub night before or just a couple of hours--depends on circumstances. Let rest 15-20 minutes after cooking. If needing to wait an hour or so will cover with aluminum foil and just add hot gravy or a sauce.