Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Like Big Butts

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Come on, you guys know the song...But seriously, for some insane reason I let my butcher talk me into getting two 8 pound pork butts instead of the 5-6 pounders I intended. I have been reviewing different recipes and it seems most are designed for smaller cuts. I have begun to worry that even if I put them on this evening, at 200 degrees, they won't be done by the 6:00 dinner party scheduled for tomorrow. I am thinking about dividing them in two. Does that make sense? When am I going to learn that bigger isn't always better???

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    JHudson,
    In my opinion if you put em on tonight around 9 -10 pm they should be dont in plenty of time tommorrow. [p]Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    Tom,[p]I am seeing directions calling for approximately 20 hours of cooking for five pounders. That's what is causing the concern for me. Does the jump in weight not make that much of a difference in cooking time the way I thought it would?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JHudson,
    You need to kick the temp up to 250 degrees...I always cook ribs and butts at this temp.
    Larry

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    JHudson,[p]If you put them on this evening at 250 indirect, they should be ready in plenty of time for your 6:00 soiree.
    Two 8 pounders would still fall under the general rule of 2 hours per pound... and with my eversharp mathmatical brain, that comes out to about 16 hours of cook time. However, when I do butts your size they usually take 17-18 hours... probably not necessary but to be safe you may want to tack on a little more time for the extra heat sink butt.[p]I think you will find that 200 is going to difficult to maintain the entire cook and you will notice no difference in taste if you up the temp to 250... which is much easier manage. Good luck![p]ChefRD's hotwings for me tonight! hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm[p]WD[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I got the 200 degrees from Brant's Boston Butt recipe off the BGE recipe section. (200 for the first several hours and 260 for the last few.) He called for 20 hours cook time for a 6 pound butt. If 250 degrees will get me to the same place in less time, I'm all for it. Thanks to everyone for their input. [p]Jodi
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JHudson,
    I also vote for a minimum of 250 dome. And like Dr. Woo says, you are prolly looking in the 15-18 hour range, as long as you hold 250 dome.[p]Have a blast!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BTW, trim off some of the fat if you want, but don't cut that thing in half![p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Nature Boy:[p]Just want to second trimming off the fat. It adds nothing. Plus, it will reduce the amount of fat that will drop on the fire if you cook your butts direct.
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    Tom,
    Just like the guys said I do mine at 250 also. Real easy to maintain that temp for a long time. 2 8 lb buts should take about 16 hours. So if you put it on at 10:00 Pm it should be done in plenty of time with a few hours to spare. I have also done 2 butts at the same time and it does tend to add and hour or two to the cook. Another reason I would start around 9 or 10 would be just incase your fire goes out in the middle of the night.[p]
    Tom

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    JHudson,[p]I cook my butts in the 230 range, and I've never had 6 lb butt cook over 16 hours. I can't imagine a butt taking even 20 hours for an 8 pounder.[p]If you cook your butt at 230 or so, I think you are going to have plenty of time.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb