Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do with 12 oz's of Morel's

BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My kids came in thismorning with a Morel mushroom to show me...they thought it was the coolest mushroom they had ever seen!

I explaned that they were "super-yummy" and they should go hunting for more but don't pick-em... If they found some I would come out and we could cut them and use them tonight for dinner. Their grandparents are comming over Ribeye's and Crab-legs!

Well, 15 minutes later my girls (6 & 8) come screaming into the house saying they have discoverd 20 of them! Indeed they had, right next to the old pine we cut down last fall in the corner of the yard.

I have 12 oz's of lovely shroom. I thought about a saute with shallot to top the meat with but to be honest I just don't know what to do whith them. I know there yummy but I've never cooked them before (I am however certain they're Morel's).

Nice way to start a Sunday! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    They aren't any good. Just leave them on your back doorstep and I'll do you the favor of disposing of them for you. :woohoo:

I actually prefer morels breaded and fried, but that is the only way I knew to eat them growing up. I've never had them any other way.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Eggwash, cracker crumb and fried. The only way.

Mike
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one way!

Mushrooms, Morels, RRP

Morel mushrooms are Mother Natures' reward to MidWesterners for putting up with the tornados. Man did these fry up wonderfully this afternoon!

Just a simple wash of a raw egg and some milk. Then shifted on some flour to soak up the wash. Salt and pepper a tad and then fried in real butter. That wonderful taste of fresh morels is a winner!

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, RRP, 2006/04/24
  • there are mushrooms called false morels. post a photo and go to the great morel site for identification:
    http://thegreatmorel.com/

flour dredge, sauté in butter, s&p
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    I believe you said you live in Waynesville. I didn't know that Morels grew anywhere in NC. Now, just carefully put them in a box and send them to me in Charlotte.

Nice find. I have a mushroom tart recipe I'll send you which uses dried Morels if you want it. They're fantastic.

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    By the way, in this recipe the Morels are reconstituted with Porcinis and combined with other mushrooms too. Criminis and White Mushrooms.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks - kinda funny to see myself being quoted!!! I believe that post had this picture attached before the 'rooms were bathed and fried. Right now I have 14 all quartered and in water in the frig. Hope to get more this week.
    IMG_0953.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueRidge
    BlueRidge Posts: 84
    Thanks to all of you! We are going to egg/milk wash, flour/cracker dredge and butter fry! I can hardly wait! Thanks for the offer for the pie...I would love to see it but I don't think these particular shrooms are going to make it :cheer:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    When they look like this get ready for some good eating. Personally the flour lets the natural morel taste shine without added bulk.
    IMG_0263.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    What a timely post! We just found 3 near our home so it's time to hunt! I haven't hunted for several years so the link to identifying the shrooms was a help.
    Thanks,
    Carol