Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone tried this?

BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a butt at Ingles for 89 cents a pound as it was reaching its "sell by" date but I don't have the time to cook it right now. I am going to freeze it cook it up in a couple of weeks.

I was considering rubbing it with Elder Ward's butt rub prior to freezing and wondered if anyone had tried this and if you thought it would make any difference at all.....

I've been lurking alot lately and have enjoyed all of the cooks! B)

Jay

Comments

• That sounds like a good idea. I have a frozen butt and wish I'd thought of that. I've done it with ribs though and it worked fine. By the way, are you somewhere in or near the Blue Ridge mountains? Just a guess. I spent a number of years just off the Parkway in Roanoke and then in Blacksburg, VA.
    Paul
  • BlueRidge
    We are indeed! We're about 30 miles west of Asheville in a town called Waynesville. And I can say that SPRING HAS SPRUNG! I love this time of year.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Jawjajoe
    Jawjajoe Posts: 51
    That's the way we do all the time, in fact got 3 on right now. Just thaw'em out for a few days in advance, unwrap'em and on the egg they go.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    If I were you, I'd cook the things now and freeze the pulled pork. I wouldn't trust thawing the butts that were so close to their 'use before' date.
  • BlueRidge
    That was one of my concerns. I thought that allowing a thaw in the fridge for a few days would be fine in terms of bacterial growth.... That would really be the issue wouldn't it?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Yeah, that's my concern: Getting it thawed without the nasties taking over. It takes a loooong time to thaw a butt in the fridge.
  • BlueRidge
    Is there anyway to know if it has been too long? A slime, smell, color change. I think any of the above would be impossible to know as I rubbed it already. I was also wondering, if the meat is not ground, the bacterial growth would be on the outside, wouldn't the cook destroy anything that might be harmfull?