Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am moving to France: should I take my BGE? Can I get charcoal, parts in France?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to move to France and would love to bring my BGE along for the ride. But if I can't obtain natural charcoal, that's a dealbreaker...right?[p]And for parts...I will stock up on some items ahead of time (a gasket, etc.) and can probably overcome this if I'm willing to have parts shipped overseas. But are there ways to get these items in France? How about the UK? If I travel to the UK, I'd probably make a side trip for BGE supplies if there was a UK supplier.[p]Anything that anyone can share about "EGGSpatriation" (groan) would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    A guy from the UK said he was able to get lump but couldn't find a dealer/distributor in the UK.

There is a dealer/disbributor in Ireland and or Netherlands, remember those countryes are smaller than many of our western states.

I would think lump would be the only real concern and of course getting your egg there in one piece.

GG
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Luxury Living is a distributor of BGE in Bridgend. -RP
    www.luxurylivingproducts.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    quick check of google.fr for charbon de bois indicates plenty of webers for sale in france, must be lump, too.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    http://blog.france-midi.co.uk/blog/_archives/2007/9/26/3254798.html

This guy bought a gasser because the quality of French charcoal is not to his liking...
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Sorry to have to tell you this, but American style barbeque cookers have just been banned in France, to include the Gig Green Egg, no matter it's oriental heritage. Such cookers are being rounded up and destroyed as we speak, people having been forced to register them several years ago when Jacques Chirac came to power. His little known deal wth Jean-Marie Le Pen during the 2002 elections (a rabid hater of anything non-French) ended with Chirac becoming president but promising to end the scourge of barbeque cookers on French soil. This is a logical extension of the Académie Française program to rid the French language of such terms as "le weekend" , walkman, and software. I understand that anyone seen with an individually wrapped proccessed cheese slice may now be shot on sight! (Don't try to look this up on the web, it's all being keep super secret by the French gooverment, I just know because my ex-wife lives in France) Anyway here is what I propose - since you obviously can't take your BGE to froggy-land, why not ship it down here to me for safekeeping in sunny Florida? I would be certain to use it often enough to maintain the protective grease layer and keep mold out of it. As an additional service, since a ban on American style barbequed/grilled food is sure to follow (I hear the french government won't allow the sale of "le pork butt" or "les babyback ribs") , I can smuggle in egged foods of your choosing. Since it would be such a risky venture for myself, I do ask that you provide roundtrip airfare. I would also suggest changing up the areas of France that we meet in to prevent the authorities from becoming suspicious. Probably Paris first, then the Champagne region, then maybe Provence or Normandy, etc. Let me know!

By the way, natural lump charcoal (charbon de bois) is widely available in France, there are also briquettes de charbon de bois available. Here's a link or two:

http://www.forestiere-du-nord.com/anglais/rubrique/gamme_ete.htm

http://www.je-chauffe-au-bois.com/?referrer=LeGuide
    This one has bags of lump for 8 EUR or about $11.79

Lucky dog - you're gonna love it!
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    Eggspat2B,
    I think that part of the world is where charcoal was invented, several million years ago.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Feels like I have a fish hook in my cheek and am being drug to the boat.

GG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    JET!! Le Cajuns LOL :woohoo:
  • Essex County
    Options
    I lived in central France for a short while a number of years ago. I remember seeing a couple of charcoal operations while driving the back roads. There was one really close to the big chateau Chambord. But I can't say I ever saw lump for sale.

Paul
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I can certify that luxuryliving have a live (and very helpful) dealership in Bridgend (South Wales) so you will be ale to get parts albeit at "european" prices but hey - how many parts will you want.

And don't listen to "Wild thing" JET - he was sent to bed without his supper!

PS send us some cheese & some wine and ......
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hopefully it was a joke (Jet).

I emailed some friends in France and your comment is very kind compaired what was sent to me...

About the only thing I can repeat is 'besides France is not a dictatorship'.

GG
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    speaking of chateuax....

gotta bottle with yer names onnit.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Just remember to get a big assortment of grill pans, dutch ovens, etc. I think it's illegal to cook an entree' larger than 3 oz in France. :ermm:
  • Eggspat2B,[p]Going to France...?[p]Have you started learning Arabic, yet?

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Eggspat2B,
    I dont know about getting parts in France, but you can certainly get them in the Uk and Ireland.
    A company called Luxury Living import eggs into Ireland and UK and carry a full range of parts and accessories.
    Their web site in UK is www.luxurylivingproducts.com and in Ireland www.luxurylivingireland.com.
    You can email ray@luxurylivingproducts.com and he will look after you just as well as the mother ship do in America

• irishrog,[p]That's all I needed to know. I also learned from a friend that many Americans in France complain that the only charcoal that's available is "natural charcoal." He had never heard an American who actually wanted "natural charcoal." Everyone else asks where they can find "Kingsford" so my question was a surprise.[p]Knowing that there's an EU source for parts and a supply of charcoal, I'm now getting excited about the move! Thanks for those leads on EU Egging!
  • irishrog,
    hello, we are the european distributor for big green egg.
    in france we have an importer, I do not know if they have all parts in stock, certainly we have.
    so, just give us an email what you need and we will sent it to you. hope to hear from you, wessel buddingh'