Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help cooking rump roast.... Thanks

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if you treat a rump roast the same way you do Clay's Pulled Beef? My wife bought two 5 lb rump roasts on sale and wants to make beef tacos with it.
I don't want to put the things in a Crock Pot for goodness sakes.

Need info on time, temp., set-up etc. and anything else I may not have thought about.

Thanks in advance, Pharmeggist

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go:

Beef, Roast, Rump. Sauerbraten Mit Ingwer Kuchen Sosse (Saurebraten & Gingersnap Gravy)

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs rump roast; beef, boneless
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    8 peppercorns
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cloves , whole
    2 cups water, boiling
    1 bay leaf
    10 gingersnaps
    1 cup white vinegar, mild
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 cup water
    1 Tbs unbleached flour

Procedure:
    1 Place the beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl. Add onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Pour white vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered, for 4 days. Turn meat twice each day. Remove the meat from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve onions and 1 cup marinade.
    2 In a Dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in hot vegetable oil. Sprinkle meat with salt. Pour boiling water around the meat. sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn often. Add 1 cup of reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until tender. Remove the meat and keep it warm. Strain the cooking juices into a large saucepan.
    3 In a small bowl mix sour cream with flour. Stir it into the cooking juices and cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth. Slice meat in 1/4 inch slices; add to hot gravy. Arrange meat on a heated platter and pour extra sauce over it.

Servings: 10

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 09/23/07

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one way.

Beef, Roast, Rump, Thirdeye

I mix some beef broth, Wooster and some canola oil or melted butter and inject them about an hour before putting on a 375° Egg. Around 130° I pull them, rest and slice against the grain.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2006/09/24
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    We do this in a dutch oven with a chuck roast and it turns out great. A rump roast I imagine would even be better.

The cook takes from 5 to 6 hours in the egg and if using for sandwhichs or pulled beef I try to keep the meat cooking at 225° for about an hour. The meat can be easily cut with a spoon and is very close to fall apart.

I have posted the recipe 4 or 5 times, if you would like a copy email me and I will be happy to send it off ot you or anyone one else that might want it.

It is an easy cook and is often our Sunday dinner.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    eb37141f.jpg

Hey Richard,

Here is a visual to go along with that and the link to my page on rump and round roasts.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/06/beef-rump-round-roasts.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Please send me an e-mail with the recipe.

Much Appreciated :)

~Pharmeggist
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You should have it now.

GG
  • ag139
    ag139 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thirdeye - thanks much for the post.  Best recommendation I've seen on a rump roast.  Trying it tomorrow!  
    Minneapolis, MN - Large Egg - Newbie as of 3/29/13