Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Should I buy a Big Green Egg?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Carl,[p]I wouldn't trade mine for any other smoker/grill that you could buy.[p]This question gets asked here often, just check the archives for past questions and answers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    KT, Any idea about where to get the best price on one?

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Carl,[p]Can you tell us more about what you want? Do you like cooking with charcoal? Do you want to smoke and grill and bake and roast? Tell us what you are looking for and we can give you our opinions about whether or not a BGE is a good solution for you.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I threw out my gas grill years ago. I use a 18" weber round kettle grill and a small electric vertical Brinkmann smoker.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    newegg1.jpg
    <p />Carl,[p]The question is how MANY should you buy. Seriously, the large BGE that I bought about 18 mos. ago has been worth every penny and then some. Hurry, run and buy one today, you won't be sorry.[p]Chuck <><
  • Unknown
    Options
    Carl, not sure about where to get a deal on one, but you'll be happy you spent the money the first time you taste what the BGE can do for you.[p]Ultra high temps for searing steaks or low and slow for ribs, roasts or what have you, the BGE does the job your Weber, gasser, and smoker can do only ALOT better.[p]They're a little on the pricey side, but it's an investment that will last longer than any other conventional grill on the market.[p]Good luck on your decision.

• Unknown
    Options
    Carl, [p]Atlanta GA.[p]try this above the main forum.[p]Enter your ZIP code here >> then to find your nearest BGE Dealer [p][p]

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Carl,[p]My answer would not be yes, it'd be HELL yes! But let's say you don't. Visit the Forum anyway. You will never find a nicer, more helpful bunch of people. You will crank your cooking skills up and up and up.[p]The "sticker shock" of purchasing an Egg is high, no doubt about it. But it's worth it. Like you, I had 3 webers and a brinkman smoker. I gave 'em all away. I couldn't cook in inclement weather and not at all in the winter. Now, during the spring/summer/fall I use the Egg 4-5 times a week. In the winter I cut back some and only use it 3-4 times a week -- grin![p]Get one.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Carl,[p]In a word: Yes.[p]--sdb
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Carl, if you're cooking ona Webber I think you will like a BGE. The only drawback is that the BGE is much heavier than the Webber. If you're accustomed to dragging the grill out of the garage and around back every time you cook, that will be a disadvanatge. But I think you will find that other than that, the BGE will provide everything the Webber does plus more. It can get hotter. It retains more moisture in the meat. It can cook longer on a load of lump. All of your cooking experience will not be lost. Just enhanced.

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Chuck,
    That is a mighty nice view you have there...what part of the country is that? [p]And just exactly what is coming out of the top of that mini?
    Cap'n

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Cap'n,[p]That's no mini, that's a limited edition bge shop vac. :~)[p]WD
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    sdbelt,
    I wish I bought it earlier in my life. Don't wait, run now and buy it. Then the only decision will be, how many more do I need.[p]

• Chuck
    Options
    coldsmoke.jpg
    <p />Cap'n,[p]The view is pretty nice, makes egging that much better. It is in the southern part of NJ, Medford to be exact. [p]Th contraption coming out of the mini is for cold smoking. I fire up the mini, add some chips and or chunks and attach the pipe to the ash door of a large. This gives a low temp smoke for cheese or whatever. The pic should give you the idea.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Maybe we should market your idea. What a better way to clean out you BGE than with an "Eggvac 1000". You could also run it backwards to turbo-charge your cook. [p]Chuck <><

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Chuck,
    That is a great idea...thanks for sharing!
    Cap'n[p]