Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Very Small Brisket

ArtinfloridaArtinflorida Posts: 29
edited 5:59AM in EggHead Forum
I got a very small piece of brisket today, 1.7 lbs. I am the only one that will eat it, so that is why it is so small.
Thanks to Richard Fl I have several recipes for cooking brisket, but most do not use a small piece.
I am thinking of putting sugar and some rub on it tonight and cooking it very low and very slow tomorrow.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Wrap in foil once it reaches 160. Add a little beef broth to the package and then back on to 195. If it is trimmed to within an inch of it's life. Wrap it in bacon to help add moisture, and to keep it from drying out.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I'm thinking maybe smoking it for a couple of hours for flavor and either going to the foil like mike mentioned or braise it in a shallow pan in the oven at 225*.

Option 2 would be grinding it.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael BMichael B Posts: 986
    If you take it to the oven, put it in a baking bag along with a 50/50 mix of beer and your favorite BBQ sauce.
  • Thanks to all for the great help.
    Art
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,766
    After doing a bunch of briskets over the last 3 years, I've had them underdone, falling apart, dry, juicy and have come to the following conclusions:

1. Packers do better for me than flats.
    2. I will only cook CAB choice or prime packers.
    3. Fat up or down has not mattered on whole briskets.