Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inclement Weather

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased the large egg and had optimistically invited friends and family over this weekend for the inaugural barbecue. Unfortunately, the weatherman is not cooperating with my plans. I've seen pictures of eggs smoking away in the snow, but what, if anything, can be done in the rain? I wanted to do pulled pork, which means firing up Friday night. The rain is scheduled to arrive Saturday! Am I out of luck??

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    JHudson,
    Rain should be no problem unless it is Noah and The Flood magnitude. Even then, people have fashioned various devices to fit over the top to prevent a downpour from going into the egg. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    JHudson,[p]I cooked some of the best chicken one time in the worst down pour and thunderstorm. No problems with the BGE but it was at a higher temp than you would do pulled pork. May have to see if anyone else has done low and slow in the rain. I wouldn't think it would make a difference with the rain coming in Sat.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    JHudson,[p]Get a 3lb coffee can and poke lots of holes in the sides of it. If a downpour happens, all you have to do is place the inverted can over the dome opening and humpty can keep on cooking without missing a beat.[p]Good luck with the cookout.[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    JHudson,
    The last pulled pork I did it rained for about half the cook with no adverse effect. Like TNW said if you have a torrential downpour for a long time you may need to improvise. I have a coffee can with holes punched in the side, that will slip over the daisy top, standing by just in case. Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Bob,[p]You are quicker on the trigger. [p]Chuck <><

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    JHudson,
    I use the egg year round. i've cooked in down pours and heavy snowfalls. i don't have the daisy wheel so there is no chance of water coming in. it does seem to take a bit longer in inclement weather so you might adds a few hours to your cook time. and thanks for the advice about my damaged egg. i'll keep bugging the dealer about the new bands coming out.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JHudson, get a good rain suit. You'll get a lot wetter than the food will, but do think of a way to get it from the grill to the house with getting too wet (tin foil works wonders here). Make sure your lump doesn't get wet before you start cooking.[p]And that reminds me, every time I cook a butt it seems to rain. We are in a drought. I need to do more butt.