Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker - Waterproofing?

Options
RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

Considering a Stoker real soon (like the networking capabilities vs Guru), concern though is that I spend the money then it rains on an overnight cook and ZAP the controller is shorted out...

Guess I could put in a ziplock or something, just wondering if anyone has any comments???

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is what i did with my guru

101_0426.jpg

101_0425.jpg

i am sure you can do something like that ;)

all you need is tupperware and a dremmell tool

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Terry's idea is great! But with the Stoker you can make leads to that run a ways and leave the "control unit safe inside or at least out of the rain. I plan to make some leads so that the stoker is inside next to my computer, and the leads are out in the weather. HTH.
  • Katodude00
    Options
    I have made a similar box for my Stoker and it works great.

IMG_0271.jpg

BBQ024.jpg

The only issue will making really long leads for the Stoker is the fan. Since it is powered by the Stoker a long fan cord will not work as well. and is not really recommended.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Interesting about the fan. That does make sense. Thanks!
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Would be really cool to figure a way to make the probes and fan feedback wireless and keep the controller next to the pc.

To me I'ld likely try to run this thing on battery w/a wireless router so I don't have cables everywhere... Oh well guess I have alot of time to figure out how to do all this. Thanks for the feedback.....Jerry
  • Katodude00
    Options
    It should be easy to do. Just buy a wireless brigde and put it in the little waterproof box. You will still need power to it, but it can be a self sustained totally wireless waterproof enclosure. You can also buy a refurb wireless router for about $30 hack it with DD-WRT and make it into a wireless bridge.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Whats a DD-WRT,

Why not just use the wireless router. Now that N is coming alive the older ones can be picked up for under $15 and some under $10.

GG
  • Katodude00
    Options
    So you really have two options here. If you do not have a home network and just want to connect your laptop (or deskop) directly to the Stoker you could just get a cheap wireless router and that will do the trick. However, if you want to connect the Stoker to your home network than you need a wireless bridge. Most router cannot act as bridges. However, some routers that are based on Linux can be hacked with DD-WRT software. This can turn a $50 router into a $500 piece of neworking equipment including a wireless bridge.

Or just buy a wireless bridge they are around $70