Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about Adjustable Rig & Spider

Options
Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
http://www.eggaccessories.com/adjustableRig.html

I already have the Placesetter, can you use the adjustable rig with the placesetter? Or for indirect cooking would I be better off using the spider with the adjustable rig as shown on the site?

Comments

• Pork N Stein
    Options
    I had the same issue, can't use the platesetter and rig at the same time. Others suggested cutting the leg portions off the platesetter and using it as a pizza stone or indirect piece on the spider. I haven't done it yet, I use a cast iron griddle for indirect or for blackened cooks. Not sure what I'm going to do with the platesetter yet, but haven't used it since I got the rig and spider.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    My platesetter has not been used since getting the adjustable rig and spider. For indirect cooks, I set the spider's legs in the indentations of the fire ring, then set an old pizza stone on top of the spider ... you can set the spider right side up or upside down depending on how much air flow you want. I then place the adjustable rig in the egg and have at it.

Alternatively, you can set the spider on top of the the lower ring of the adjustable rig, then the pizza stone on top of the spider ... this way, you can lift the entire assembly out at once to stir the coals, add wood chunks, etc. I use this scenario 90% of the time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The plate setter is still great to have.
    Legs down for placing a nice cast iron pot of chili, stew or a nice roast. Also great if you add a pizza stone on top and bake bread or make pizza. The plate setter is very solid and does not shift around much because of its weight. I would never want to give up my spider and adj rig but it's also nice to have the plate setter at times.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good point Darian.

I use the spider and stone combo for indirect, but still use the platesetter and stone for pizzas. I am willing to bet using the spider with an indirect piece under the platesetter will help with burnt crust issues as well.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    morning, the adjustable rig is my adventure and I'm happy to answer any questions. Just email me your phone number.
    acgpinc@charter.net is my email at least for now. I'm changing in couple days....going verizon fios......way better than cable. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.