Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Mates - Worth The Money?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am in the process of purchasing a BGE, my local BGE distributor has told me they do not carry the Egg Mates because they "..become flimsy after 6 weeks." Has anyone here experienced problems with Egg Mates? Are there alternatives - (other than a table)?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Decision Time, sounds like your dealer is a real tripper! I use the nest for my medium and it is solid as a rock. What you do need to know though is a BGE in a nest is top heavy and when you go to move it always pull it never push it. That way if the wheels hit an obstruction humpty will fall toward you giving you a chance to catch it. Otherwise if pushed it goes over. The archives are wet in spots from tears over toppled humptys! ^oo^~

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Decision Time,[p]Had mine for just over a year now (most of which was open to the elements) and, like Kat's, it's as solid as a rock. While I have a patio table close by, having the extra spots to set things down is darn handy. Sounds to me like that dealer is trying to sell you a table....[p]Kelly Keefe
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    myegg2.jpg
    <p />Decision Time,[p]I have 2 sets of Egg-mates and they are very solid and work fine! The one I had for 3+ years is still going strong on my neighbors deck on the Big Egg. I think I retightened the bolts that hold on the wood parts after about 2 years and it's going fine. You dealer is wrong or wayyyy to picky. Mine all live 100% outside and they work perfectly.[p]Tim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    corianshelf.jpg
    <p />Decision Time,
    I removed the wood on mine and put Corian on them 3 1/2 years ago...They are steady as a rock and work great.
    Larry

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Decision Time, My eggmates have held up great. Not enough room for my tastes, but no trouble. I did see an alternative today but very expensive. An egg sits in a half moon shaped table/bar. It looks like you can cook and sit around the table with cold ones and enjoy the outdoors.
    Picture a black jack dealer being the egg with the players on the other side.[p]CWM

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Decision Time,
    I've had mine on a large for over a year. They work great.
    B D

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Decision Time,
    I agree with all the others on the strength of the nest, and if you live in the Washington, D.C. area, someone on eBay had one for sale a day or two ago and at the time, the price was "right". Since they are not easily or cheaply shipped, the successful bidder would probably need to be in a reasonable driving distance of Washington.

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Decision Time,
    Me dealer said the same to me too. Now that I have read these posts, I crave it again. [p]How does it attach to the egg? Is it attached to the band? Would the new spring hinge still work?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    One of the wheels came off my nest over a year ago. Since then, I've had my egg sitting on a concrete slab in my back yard. I really need to get a table built and put it on my deck.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Decision Time,
    Are you talking about the Egg Mates or the Egg Nest? I see you are getting answers about both. The only rap on the Nest I have heard is that it can tip over if you wheel it around and hit something like a twig under the wheels, i.e. it would help if it provided a wider base. Center of gravity and all that, you know....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    The Egg Mates, as others have pointed out the dealer has a nice table to sell me but at $385 its out of my price range (when added to the price of the BGE).

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    My two cents worth is this:[p]I would buy the egg now without the mates etc.[p]I then would watch the dealer who wants 385 for his table. If he keeps giving out bad info, you can prolly get his table for his cost, which is less than 200, as he may soon be getting out of the bge biz. Alternatively, in a couple of years, the table will look even more attractive and the money won't seem that big a deal then. In the worst case scenario, you could latch on to the table plans folks have and build one yourself.[p]I understand there are folks who like the egg nests and the wings, but my personal opinion, with dogs and kids at my house, is that those things are begging for an accident. A table is sturdier and less open to misbehavior.[p]Until I could give mine a sturdy home, I just put it on its feet on the ground. That was fairly stable, as long as I kept it out of a traffic pattern.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Decision Time,
    Seems to me like the dealer was trying to try bait and switch you. Flimsy in six (6) weeks? I don't think so, at least that has not been my experience. The people who have responded to you on your question(other than me) have a wealth of experience with the BGE and the accessiories. Listen to them, these folks are eggsperts!
    Hammer