Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It being Father's Day this weekend, my wife asked what I wanted to do. I mentioned pork/beef, lump and the BGE were involved. Since it is Father's Day, I take the day to cook what I want. Just curious...what's everyone else cooking this weekend?
Trying to decide on a brisket or some ribs or an 8 pound eye of round roast.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Shelby:[p]Looks like some baby back ribs and grilled vegetables for my crowd this weekend.[p]I am curious about your success as well as that of others cooking eye of round. On sale, I find that home ground it makes great burgers. Cooked any other way it resembles shoe leather . . . Sorry, just my experience. If I drink a little more will it taste better? Am I missing out on a great cut of meat because I am not cooking it right?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Shelby, several things actually - pizza, baby backs and for snackin food to have in the refrig some hot wings. In between I'll also replenish my supply of smoked olives.

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Shelby,
    Funny, same situation at my house. I'll be doing a rib roast the Alton Brown way.

• Unknown
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Eye round is a favorite here. For moist and tender eye round all the time, throw it on direct heat at 350. Turn it every 20 minutes or so. But not to worry about the outside of the meat burning. That burn is only skin deep and adds a great flavor. At the 75 minute mark check the internal temp of the eye round. For medium remove the eye round at 140 degrees. BUT ALWAYS LET THE MEAT SIT FOR 30 MINUTES BEFORE CUTTING. If you slice before the 30 minutes, you are gonna loose tenderness and moisture and wind up with tough meat.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    djm5x9,
    This will be my first eye of the round roast on the egg. Bought it a while back on sale...like $2/pound. So I figure I'll cook it and if it comes out tough, I'll chop it up and add bbq sauce and it'll make good sandwiches.
    I'd been thinking of doing it indirect on a V-rack but will rethink it given the other post. Will report back.