Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picture of New Hinge

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone have a pic of the new hinge? does it have the same problem as as the auto band of possibly losing humpties lid? also if i buy was wondering if i could use something like locktite (sp) on the bolts to prevent it?
thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]I saw some pics of that hinge somewhere - I don't have one. I did see it at Eggfest2002 and it is a nice design and works well. It has to loaded springs that hold open the dome. All domes "CAN" still fall if the bands become loose. Most everyone is now using silicone to act as a glue on the bands along with a LOT of tightening of the bolts (they will bend when tightened enough). Check the tightness of the bolts now and again to be safe. You will like this band much better.[p]Tim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]I don't believe the autolock hinge had a problem losing the lid if the band was tightened as it was supposed to be.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Vegas Slim,[p]I think one of the Arizona eggers posted pictures after he installed the new band. I think it was sdbelt that posted. Maybe one of those guys will repost.[p]--Kevin

• Vegas Slim
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    i have the bolts on my auto prettty tight they have a nice curve in them but i can always tighten them some after? i have used my egg

• Vegas Slim
    Options
    Tim M, my only question is how much bend? mine have a nice curve but yet after every cook i can still tighten them again how much is too much?? i slathered plenty of silicone on my egg so hopefully it wont fall

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Here is a picture of the hinge. Hope this helps.

[ul][li]Hinge[/ul]
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    I had the problem, and it wasn't because the lid wasn't screwed tight. When someone tried to force the lid shut, they were warned not to by my wife (i wasn't there). He stopped immediately, but when he did, the whole apparatus acted like a spring to snap back and then flip the lid out. I don't think the lid hinge was designed to hold on to the top with that kind of stress. I understand and agree that a lot of the top busts happen because the lid wasn't screwed on, but I hasten to add that I suspect a lot of them had nothing to do with that. Can't prove it, but am willing to wager some folks out there had my experience.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    hounddog,
    I agree, so i'll amend my statement to say "if the bands were tightened... and were not subjected to abuse, whether intentional or accidental." My point was that lids don't fly out of the bands on their own with normal use if the bands are properly tightened. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    hounddog,
    Had the very same problem. Plus the band was set with silicone. My take on it was that my daughter dislodged the band from the dome in her attempt to close it. No amount of tightening would have "saved the day."

• Big-R
    Big-R Posts: 36
    Options
    Vegas Slim, I just bought my egg last month and it came with the spring hinge. During installation I noticed an alignment set-up on both the hinge bands and the egg. There is a small nib, protrustion, bump out, on the upper and lower bands that slips into a corresponding hole in the egg. Between securely tightening the bolts (not overtight) and the nib, then I expect the lid will be secure.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Spring%20Hindge.jpg
    <p />Vegas Slim,
    He's a couple of pics I took 3-4 months ago when I installed the new band.
    It is a really great addition to my large. Can't hardly wait until it's available for the small. Was told by BGE last week it'll be available by the end of summer for the small.
    B D