Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A great dome thermometer tip

Options
Harry
Harry Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This one isn't original with me. I saw it on somebody's page and I can't remember who. Sorry, because I would love to give him/her credit.[p]Rotate the thermometer in the dome so that the desired temperature is at the 12:00 position. This way you can tell how the temperature is doing at a quick glance - and from a distance away.[p]My BGE is about 40 feet away from the back door, and I can see from the door how it's doing. True, I can't tell the exact temperature, but I can tell if I need to make the trip out there to check it. I saw this a couple of weeks ago and think it is one of the tips that I've used the most - simple as it is. -- Thanks to whoever it was that posted it originally.[p]Harry

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Harry,[p]Just make sure that when you rotate it, you do it when the clip isn't attached, or you'll take it out of calibration.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    DavidR,
    ""Just make sure that when you rotate it, you do it when the clip isn't attached, or you'll take it out of calibration.""[p]
    Amen brother!!!!!!!!!! That is so true![p]Tim M[p]
    [/b]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    DavidR, I finally just removed my clips altogether. I took a wine cork, drilled a hole through it (lengthwise) and stuck the thermometer through the hole. Then when I put it in th hole in the dome it sits about 1 1/2" off the dome and only about 1" of the tip is inside. It's less likely to impale itself on my meat cooking inside and if I want to check the calibration, I can easily pull it out and go stick it in a cup of boiling water. Also, I can use two thermomters among four cookers. I'v eyet to notice any drawbacks.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I also cook clipless (rotating the gauge to show desired temp at 12 o'clock), using them only to provide spacing when cooking a large meal.[p]Spin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Harry, like Tim I too run "clipless" and part of the reason is I like to pull the thermometer from time to time and clean the crud off it. In my mind a build up has to have some impact on the accuracy.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Harry,[p]Here's another tip fer ya:
    I find that I usualy am concerned about the temps more during a low-n-slow than a roast or raging fire cook. That said, a simple polder style probe can take the heat of a 200 - 250 cook just fine.[p]I stick the probe through a wine cork enough to get the tip well away from the dome, and slip it right in the normal thermo hole.[p]Then you can position your larger thermo display at the appropriate angle to be seen from your french doors, lounge chair, hot tub etc...[p]As a side note, I too have lonce since gone "clipless" on my egg thermos. I cant see any reason for keeping it on there. Even if you dont rotate your thermo on purpose, the cover always seems to snag it.[p]Speaking of thermometers, just wait until you see what I'm doing with the some type K thermocouples, a couple thermistors, a servo, an iPaq, and a wireless network.[p]Be very afraid. ;)[p]
    Have fun,
    bc[p]