Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spatchcock turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone.I have owned a large egg for about 3 weeks now.Cook on it about every night.Love it.Gas grill hates it.Been reading about spatchcock chiken.Wandering if any one has tried to cook a spatchcock turkey.Found that 4" tera cota flower potts turned upside down,work good for holding up second grate.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Love grilling:BTS

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    bts, Here's one

[ul][li]Butterflied Turkey[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    bts,
    Just a quick caution to make sure that your pots are lead free. There are some recipes for these clay pots that do indeed include lead.[p]Even though the Romans thought wine was better from lead goblets, their limited lifespan probably had something to do with with their dishes. Seriously, lead is proving to be nasty stuff, and you dont want it on your food in any form.[p]You can get lead testing kits at some hardware stores. They're normally used to test for lead in dried paints on your walls.[p]Otherwise there shouldn't be any real problems besides the possibility of craking under high heat.[p]You can also pick up some split firebricks at a wood stove store. They can withstand high temps, and will take up less space.[p]That said, I think this is a really clever idea! I've wanted to get a couple lead free pots myself.[p]I've seen with great interest some recipes that call for baking bread inside of a lead free clay pot, but have yet
    to try it.[p]
    Have fun, and welcome to the obsession, er, uh, club!
    bc