Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg User....not so good first experience

Options
eafo
eafo Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a medium egg this past weekend, and fired it up for the first time yesterday.
Didn't go as well as I had planned, but luckily I think I figured out why.

Loaded it up with lump, tossed in 2 of the starters, lit them up, waited about 5 minutes and lowered the dome. Opened the top and bottom all the way and waited. Got up to about 500 degrees, which wasnt bad. But wouldn't get any higher. So I threw the boneless skinless chicken on anyways, as the family was getting hungry. It came out alright, but didnt get the nice sear that we like on the meat. I had bought one right off the store floor, and it appears that they didnt put it together properly, as about 3/8" of the felt band on the lower half of the egg was visible when the egg was closed. So tonight i'll be adjusting that and trying again.

btw, I'm Jason, from just outside of Tampa. Married, 2 young daughters, gov't employee, 29 yo. And unlike Blown87's post a few below, I prefer the sound of a turbocharger.
Sadly I had to get rid of my turbo powered car for something better suited for the family.

This weekend I plan on doing a few racks of ribs.....or possibly some steaks. Depends on if I can get the wife to OK the purchase of a plate setter and V-Rack.

I've been lurking around here for the past week and have already gotten a TON of great info!

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Welcome to egging. Sounds like you're mastering the temperature control trick pretty fast. Hope the gasket repair fixes the problem. Take a look at the poisitioning of the fire box too. Make sure they lined up its opening correctly, with the outside, bottom opening of your SS sliding door, too.

Let us know how the ribs turn out.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Good to know you, Jason. Welcome to the forum.

My first hunch is either not enough airflow or not enough lump. Was all the lump in the cooker burning red? If so, use more lump. If your fire was not raging, then check to see if you have some holes clogged with ash.

Better luck next time!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    First off, welcome!

Secondly, my medium will not get over 500* unless I take the daisy top off completely and let it run wide open. My large is much less temperamental, but the medium is easier to control temps in the 300-450 range.

Adjusting the bands is pretty easy. Just loosen them up a little and then make sure the bottom band is pressed down against the lip of the base and tighten it. The top band is easier with a little help. Get someone to hold the band up against the lip of the dome as you tighten that bolt. Then tighten both the bolts until they bend.
  • eafo
    Options
    Nature Boy wrote:
    Good to know you, Jason. Welcome to the forum.

My first hunch is either not enough airflow or not enough lump. Was all the lump in the cooker burning red? If so, use more lump. If your fire was not raging, then check to see if you have some holes clogged with ash.

Better luck next time!
    Chris

at first I thought I put in way too much lump, but then I realized that I got a few really big pieces that were about the size and shape of a bread plate which were really throwing off what I thought was the total amount of lump I put in. They wouldn't light up, so I smacked them around a bit with the ash tool until they broke up. I'm going to take it apart today and make sure none of the holes are clogged and everything is properly aligned.
  • eafo
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    First off, welcome!

Secondly, my medium will not get over 500* unless I take the daisy top off completely and let it run wide open. My large is much less temperamental, but the medium is easier to control temps in the 300-450 range.

Adjusting the bands is pretty easy. Just loosen them up a little and then make sure the bottom band is pressed down against the lip of the base and tighten it. The top band is easier with a little help. Get someone to hold the band up against the lip of the dome as you tighten that bolt. Then tighten both the bolts until they bend.
    Thanks! I'll take off the top and give it another shot!
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Jason:

Welcome to the Egghead world (or as some like to call it the cult). There are quite a few of us Eggheads in the Tampa area. I am in Brandon, just south of Bloomingdale. Feel free to give a shout out if you have any questions, glad to come by to help if possible. My first Egg was a medium that I have since given to my son as we now have 2 large & a mini, so I do have some experience with the medium. Getting it above 500 was difficult without removing the daisy wheel completely.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Jason,
    When you adjust the bands, make sure the dome is centered on the base. Your statement that 3/8 of the bottom felt was showing is a bit much. Centering the dome and adjusting the bands should alleviate this.
    Just FYI; some of the gasket alway's is outside; generally 1/8 or less, and the heat will generally will shrink this to the rim.
    Hammer
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome Jason. That is the first time I ever heard any of us have a smackdown with the lump. Glad to hear you won. Keep trying and stick with this forum and you will learn a ton.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    When I got my large last year the first thing I did was try it out without any food. I got it started and then practiced stabilizing at different temps to get a feel for how the Egg worked. I spent several hours on a Saturday first getting it to 250 and holding it for 30 minutes then I went to 300 and so on up to 500. This let me figure out how to adjust the top and bottom vents. Then I just starting cooking and have loved the Egg ever since.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Sometimes, if I am having problems getting the temp up. I use a battery powered camp fan on the lower vent.