Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pineapple Slices

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For dinner tonight, got the Large cranked up to 400. On went the pork tenderloin marinated in Dales for 30 min. (sliced the tenderlion almost thru lengthwise and opened it up to cook quick) Also threw on pineapple slices dusted with chili powder alongside the tenderloin. The pineapple slices were a BIG hit.[p]I think it was Nature Boy who brought the pineapple slices dusted with chili powder to the forum's attention in a post about migrant farm workers doing pineapple this way. I apologize profusely if it was someone else.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carl T,
    Wasnt me! I saw that post, but also forget who it was. Sounds good though.[p]Try coating them with a paste sugar, maple syrup, soy sauce and a little sherry, then grilling![p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Carl T, I think that was one of our western folks like Big Murth or Vegas Slim who posted that. I do remember it but like you and NB, just can't quite remember who.

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Wise One, wasnt i sorry! i wish it was as we love grilled pineapple!

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Carl T,[p]Twas me that suggested grilling the pineapple with chili powder. I got the idea from the farm workers in Watsonville, Ca. They didn't grill the pineapple, just dusted it with chile powder and started munching. I threw the dusted slices on the grill as an experiment, and I really liked it. [p]Another treat that I learned from the workers on the Monterey coast is chile/cheese roasted corn on the cob. Roast the corn in the husk without the silk. Peel, butter and sprinkle with chili powder and parmesan cheese. The guy I talked to said that they use a different grated cheese in Mexico, but parmesan is very similar. I can't remember the name of the Mexican chees though. Give this corn a try sometime.[p]Glad you tried and liked the pineapple,
    --Kevin

• Wise One
    Options
    Ca_rnivore, well at least I had the location right. Since you posted that I have tried a variety of rubs (some hot some not) on pineapple (and grilled) and they have all been delicious.
  • Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Would you mind sharing some of your ideas. My wife and kids love pineapple, but aren't into my level of heat.[p]The combo that NatureBoy suggested sounds really good![p]--Kevin

• Wise One
    Options
    Ca_rnivore, I have used some of JJ's Favorite Rub and some of a commercial product called Butt Rub. I have also tried Blue Smoke's E-Z Life which has just about the right amount of kick to it. Now that I have tried NB's EGGcellent creations on other foods, I might have to give those a try as well. I actually think his steak rub might be quite tasty on the pineapple. Dr. Chicken has a rub (Roadkill Whammy) which has a good deal of bite to it as well. I'll have to give it a shot. It's interesting; the rubs don't seem to do much for other fruits (apples, mango, etc) but is really good on pineapple.

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Thanks! I guess the savory spices in BBQ are meant to be married to the sticky sweetness of pineapple. Now I got more eggsperiments to try![p]All I can say about other fruits is don't EVER try grillin' watermelon![p]--Kevin[p]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,
    grilled watermelon rinds are quite a hit! Just wrap them in bacon, and cook till the bacon is done.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    oops...forgot to put grilled PICKLED watermelon rinds. Sorry.
  • Ca_rnivore
    Options
    nikkig,[p]I've heard that pickled watermelon rinds wrapped in bacon are pretty good. In Raichlens new bopok, he calls it wacky rumaki.[p]However my one and only experience at grilling the fresh watermelon was a disaster. My 10-year old was munching some watermelon and watching me cook ribs. He suggested that we try to grill a piece of watermelon. I did, and it came out a gray shriveled mess that tasted like, well, like
    rotten watermelon! That's the last time I take grilling advice from a 10-year old.[p]--Kevin