Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's Kabobs AKA why I love the XL

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here are a few pics of last night's Kababs. Thanks to those who posted cook time hints.

Can I say once more how thrilled I am that I chose the XL over the large? The extra grid space is so nice. I had this thing almost filled up with skewers on one level, and that was only for enough skewers for 10 people. I already have some of the materials to make my raised grid, but it was SO convenient to only have to open the Egg for 30 seconds to flip all the kabobs. I can't imagine trying to cook this meal for more people on a smaller Egg and having to mess with removing grates, rotating what is over the direct heat, or cooking in stages.

I hope someone searching for XL vs. Large (like I was a few months ago) finds this post!

Kabobs1.JPG

Kabobs2.JPG

Comments

• blown 87
    blown 87 Posts: 50
    Options
    I am still trying to decide between the Large and the XL.
    How hot have you had yours?
  • Wonka
    Options
    I think I went up to around 600 for a pizza once. I haven't sprung for steaks yet, so I haven't gone to "nuke". :) Most of what I cook is slow to medium speed, like pork butts, ribs, whole chickens, etc. That's the beauty of the Egg. It can do it all!!
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey Will,
    I also love my XL. I have had mine since Dec 07. My brother-in-law has a large and he likes it but I like the extra space. I fixed these yesterday.

Pat
    DSC03199.jpg
  • Wonka
    Options
    Looks delicious! What's the yellow stuffing, a different kind of cheese?

Here are some of mine:

RosemaryLoinwithsides.JPG
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I like the acreage on mine as well. Doing an extended family cook this Thursday - ribs, wings, mango shrimp, cheesecake (cooked the day before) , cornbread and beans. I'll be glad when the small gets here for simultaneous eggin and small cooks for a couple empty nesters. B)
  • OKCegger
    OKCegger Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm ready to eat what your having! :P Looks like you are using all your grill space. Now to your question, there is 3 different poppers on that plate. The real white ones are cream cheese only. The light yellow ones are my chicken fajita jalapeno poppers. The dark brown ones are my taco meat poppers. My wife likes the cream cheese the best. But my oldest likes the taco ones while my youngest son likes the chicken ones the best. I eat everything that is left. :laugh: Here is a couple more pics. I had to that up some grill space so I added some hot links.
    DSC03188.jpg
    DSC03195.jpg
    DSC03192.jpg

I cooked them @ 375 for 50 mins.
    Pat