Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Romaine grill???

Options
jamiemeyer
jamiemeyer Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all:
As a newbie to the forum, I am still watching (lurking) to find recipes by the veterans. In perusing the messages tonight, I have seen several pics with grilled romaine.
I tend to be "old school", and think of lettuce being served ONLY cold, but I am willing to keep an open mind.
Could y'all please share recipes for the grilling of romaine? I have several heads in the 'fridge now, and I am eager to experiment.
Thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Slice it in half length wise. Spray with some EVOO. I dust it with salt and fresh black pepper.

Grill it cut side down over a direct fire at 400+ for 2-3 minutes until the lettuce wilts a little and will develop just a slight char on the edges.

Take it off and serve with a drizzle of balsamic and fresh shaved parmesan.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
  • jamiemeyer
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Slice it in half length wise. Spray with some EVOO. I dust it with salt and fresh black pepper.

Grill it cut side down over a direct fire at 400+ for 2-3 minutes until the lettuce wilts a little and will develop just a slight char on the edges.

Take it off and serve with a drizzle of balsamic and fresh shaved parmesan.
    Rod,

Seems too easy ;-). I will give it a try.

Thanks.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not my idea...i got it from Ross in Ventura. I just added the balsamic and parm.

It really is good. Gives the romaine a slightly sweet taste.

I also like it with a vinaigrette and crumbled feta.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks, Rod, I've been wanting to try this.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Fidel:

I have also done it with some Italian dressing drizzled on just before putting on the Egg and then when it comes off I used freshly grated Asiago as I like it a lot better than parm (but to each his own).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    I use the recipe on this forum Under the cookbook section for veggies. Then when done I add some chardonnay citrus dressing :woohoo: Yummmm B)