Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a pre-cooked ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about buying a pre-cooked ham and then smoking it up to serving temp with some mild wood chips.[p]Has anybody done this? [p]I guess that the internal temp is a moot point if its pre-cooked.[p]And what would be the best wood to use?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]I've done this on many occasions and have had great results with pre-cooked hams from Sam's Club (they have the word "ridge" as part of the brand name). They come with a package of glaze mix to make up fresh and apply during the last half hour of cooking.[p]I follow the directions on the label for oven reheating which is 325* for about 10-15 minutes per pound. [p]These are every bit as good or better than "Honey Baked" and about $2/lb.[p]K~G

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Whoops, forgot to mention to shoot for an internal temp of 140* and to use apple chips (these are already hickory smoked.[p]K

• 3 Balut's
    3 Balut's Posts: 13
    Options
    Skwerl X, concur with kenny G. Have done them numerous times myself. Have done spiral sliced Smithfields and MASH hams (MASH are very good non piral sliced). Cook at 300 to 325 dome and get the internal up to 140. I have never used the enclosed glaze packet had the wife mix something up of her on. Glazed it last 30 min or so. If you put the glaze on two soon with the spiral slice or non sliced ham the edges get a bit crusty when the sugar carmelizes.
    In fact I'm doing one for a Hail and Farewell this Saturday evening.
    Hope your ham comes out great.[p]V/R
    Jeff

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I'm gonna do a ham Saturday and a pork loin Sunday.[p]Pigs of the world watch out![p]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    VaNole,
    What kind of chips would you use to smoke it?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • 3 Balut's
    3 Balut's Posts: 13
    Options
    Wardster,have used Hickory and Maple. Both woods worked out fine. Did one of each about 3 weeks ago for a retirement home and the residents left nothing but bone. Hope that helps.[p]V/R
    Jeff

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    The way I do mine is at 325 degrees to an internal of about 125 or 130. I set it over a drip pan with apple juice or cider. Apple or maple chips both work well. Glaze in the last 30 minutes if you wish. I also put pineapple slices and marischino cherries on when I glaze it (use toothpicks to hold everything on). I avoid spiral cut hams like the plague. No matter how you tie them up, the slices still tend to flop apart and dry out.
    JimW

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]I looked for Dave's Double Smoked Ham and it wasn't in the recipe section. Maybe ChefRD or someone could post this recipe as its a good one.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]