Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody ever cook rabbit on the egg

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have just got a present of 2 lovely rabbits. I have cooked them before in a stew but never cooked them on the egg. Anybody got any ideas on a good recipe for rabbit.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This might help.

Rabbit, Egged, Gdenby

INGREDIENTS:
    Horseradish Bartbecue Sauce
    1 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup prepared horseradish
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp hot sauce
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp black pepper

Directions:
    1 I egged a couple of rabbits on the 4th.They turned out quite well. I'd cooked rabbit twice before, once in the oven, and once in a water smoker. Both times the meat was passable, but because it is extremely lean and is mostly sheathed in a fine membrane, the meat was rather dry and a little tough.
    2 So this time I did everything I could to ensure a moist and tender result. I brined the whole rabbits for a day in a salt/ginger/lemon juice mixture. Then I marinated it in a "fine" apple flavored wine for six hours.
    3 I started a load of Black Canyon lump, which comes from Paraguay. Its smoke is quite pleasant, and so I decided it would be the only source of smoke for the cook. After lighting it, I quickly rubbed the rabbits with EVOO, a few shakes of salt, and a generous dusting of fresh ground pepper. As soon as the starter cube fire went out, I put down the lower grill, an improvised aluminum foil drip pan, the upper grill, and the rabbits. I quickly closed the vents down, but the heat rose briefly to 230. After 10 minutes it dropped to 220, where I wanted it, and so I left them go for 2 hours.
    4 After two hours, I checked the rabbits. With such a low and indirect fire, they were just barely warming up. I pushed the foil aside, turned the rabbits over, and smeared some butter on them. After a half an hour, I turned them again, added butter, and opened up the vents so that the dome came up to 290. I repeated the turning and buttering 3 more times at half hour intervals. On the last turn, one of the rabbits began to break apart, so I took them off 15 minutes later.
    5 The result were good. The meat wasn't fall off the bone tender, but not at all chewy. There was a good deal of moisture in the meat, and the black pepper was quite sharp. I added a horseradish sauce on the side, which really finished off the flavor with a high note.
    6 Served with honey-ginger glazed yams and fresh black cherries.
    Horseradish Sauce
    1 Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow sauce to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
    2 I should have also mention, that as I was turning the rabbits, I'd give a little tug with the tongs at the thin flesh at tho bottom of the ribs. As that began to tear loose, I knew I was getting close to done. Then, as I said, when one began to break up I knew I was almost there.

Recipe Type
    Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: gdenby

Source: BGE Forum, Gdenby, 07/05/06

I don't know where I found the horseradish babeque sauce recipe, but I give all credit to whoever originally made it.

2006/11/21---First, I'll thank Richard for hunting up my report from the archives. I've done rabbit twice more, but don't have my notes at hand. However, there's 3 things I'd mention. The first 2 cooks I did, I did the rabbits whole, The third time, I quartered them. It made them a lot easier to handle, and they cooked more evenly. There was negligable fat in them, and they are so thin that I think anything above 250 grill would burn them. The last ones I did, which were the best, I did much like ribs, turning and mopping frequently, with some foil underneath to block direct heat. I was careful to pull them off just before 160, which is when they are safe cooked.Have fun. I can't say the rabbit I've had so far was great, but its never been a failure, and the saddle, however tiny, was always good.
  • Essex County
    Options
    I've done it twice but both times as a stew. Rabbit with prunes and armagnac once and something more of a cream sauce the second time. Richard has found a nice bbq approach that would be fun to try. My concern with rabbit is the lack of fat.

I was at stike's house about a year ago and he made a fantastic paella with rabbit.

Paul
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    After thought. Why not layer bacon on the rabbit?
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Thanks Richard, they certainly are very lean, there is no fat on them anywhere, so they need to be mopped regularly. I hadn't thought of horseradish, that will certainly give them a bit of a kick, I have some fresh, I'll try that in the mop. Regards from Ireland, Roger
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    This city boy says the term "Good Recipe For Rabbit" is an Oxymoron...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    would have been better if i didn't leave the saffron broth sitting on the counter.....!

paellaserved.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it'd add flavor, but it doesn't need it if the idea is 'basting' or keeping it moist. it stays moist as long as you don't over cook it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Not done rabbit but squirrel hind quarters were absolutely terrific. I coated mine with dizzy pig dizzy dust for about two days and then grilled it like I would a chicken breast. Grilled direct at about 400' for about 10 minutes. Meat looked dry on the outside but was tender and juicy on the inside. Absolutely the best sqirrel I've had in years. So my advice would be to marinate it for a while in something you like, season well and grill fairly hot and fast.