Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coca-cola Marinade for Brisket

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used Coke as a marinade for beef? I'm doing a brisket this weekend and I'm considering a Coke marinade. Considering the collection of folks in this group, I know someone out there has used some variation of this. Thanks.

Comments

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    AndyR,[p]Can't say that I've used this, and it's a sauce, rather than a marinade, but I remember reading about it and it sounded interesting so I looked it up for you.[p]Coca-Cola Barbecue Sauce:[p]1 cup Coca-Cola
    1 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    3 tablespoons A1 steak sauce
    1 teaspoon onion flakes
    1 teaspoon garlic flades
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper[p]Combine all the ingredients in a heavy nonreactive saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly to obrtain a gentle simmer. Simmer the sauce until reduced by a quarter, 6 to 8 minutes. Use right away or transfer to a large jar, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Keeps several months. Makes 2 cups.[p]This recipe was from my Barbecue Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades book by Steven Raichlen (pg. 162 if anyone else has it), and it mentions that pot roast braised in Coca Cola is a favorite in Venezuela. Good luck--hope this helped.[p]--Aron

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    AndyR,[p]Here is one from Belly Maynard down in Texas...HOME of the brisket.[p]It uses Dr. Pepper, but you can probably use Coke instead.[p]Stogie
    ___________________________________________________________[p]Dr. Pepper Marinade for Brisket [p]1 cup Dr. Pepper(NOT diet)
    1/4 cup Soy sauce, dark
    1/4 cup Lime juice
    1 1/2 cup(s) Oil
    1 teaspoon Hot sauce[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix all and marinade beef overnight.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    AndyR, Root beer turns the trick too.
    Qfan

• AndyR, not as a marinade, but thanks to the tip from Dr Chicken I often use Coke in the reheat of pulled brisket. I can't stand that weird taste of warmed over beef, but this does magic. Also it must be the real Coke, not the diet and never Pepsi! I have even used it to reheat left over beef ka-bobs and it works wonders! Keep that tip in mind. And for those non-believers all I'll say is I bet you couldn't believe slauthering yellow mustard all over ribs or steaks when you first heard that either, did you? ^oo^~

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    AndyR,
    Anyone Try the Vanilla Coke yet? Im curious how it would taste

• AndyR
    Haywyre,
    I've tasted the product but not as a cooking ingredient. It has an interesting flavor but I can't consider it "refreshing".[p]

• AndyR
    Stogie,
    Printed. Thanks.

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    AndyR,[p]I found something I think you'll be interested in. The link below is a recipe from a fellow Texan who has an EGG. I plan on trying it myself. If you get to it before I do, let me know how it turns out.

[ul][li]Coca-Cola Brisket[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Haywyre,
    It's definately an acquired taste. No one in our household liked it.

• Gordo
    Gordo Posts: 23
    AndyR,
    I got this from a friend many years ago, have no idea of the original source, but the recipe has been titled Hal's Hot and Sweet Sauce. I usually have used it with ribs and brisket.[p]1 pt Amos and Ellens Old Fashioned Chili Sauce
    1 (24oz) bottle Heinz catsup
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 16oz. Bottle of Coca-Cola
    4 Tbsp black pepper
    2 Tbsp mustard (white or hot)
    1 Tbsp cinnamon
    1 Tbsp oregano

• kat,
    Have you tried reheating a whole brisket with the Coke? Do you pour the coke over the pulled brisket ,reheat then pour off the liquid before reserving. Thanks for your help.

• The Chuckster, never tried the whole thing as I pull it and package it for individual meals in a Food Saver. When time comes to reheat I just dump the meat in a sauce pan pour in some Coke and reheat on low temp stirring occasionally. The Coke is partly absorbed and partly evaporated, but either way it works magic. This trick works on reheating pulled pork too, but where it shines is eliminating that weird taste reheated beef takes on.

• AndyR,[p]No. Definitely not refreshing. Too sweet.[p]Try adding your own vanilla to coke. It's much better.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    ssclaire:[p]How much vanilla do you add to a 12 oz. Coke? Coke occupies several floors in our building. I'll set up a blind testing table in the lobby and see which one the Coke folks like best!
    [/b]