Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What if Butt temp too low?

Options
murphy11
murphy11 Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, what would happen if a butt was pulled and the internal temp was too low? I don't yet have a thermometer and was thinking about 'guesstimating' cook time on a 4.5 lb butt (that I haven't bought yet) I've seen possible cook times of 1-1/2 to 2 hours per lb... what would happen if I guestimated 1-3/4 hours x 4.5 and pulled without measuring temp and it was underdone - say internal of 160-170? Would it be unhealthy, tough, raw, taste bad etc?

I know I need to get a thermometer and had planned one down the road but I spent more that I wanted last week and and thinking about trying to delay a purchase unless someone has an idea for an inexpensive thermometer that I can buy reatil this weekend. Thanks in advance for advice - new to the hobby and eager to learn.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    try pulling/twisting the bone. if it slides easily, it's likely done.

also, i made the mistake once of setting the butt right on the grate, no vee rack. when it was done, i couldn't take it off the grate in one piece. it WILL fall apart when done.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    When the bone will easialy pull out, it will be ready for pulled pork. The butt will be done at much lower temps, but there is a difference between "done" and "ready". If you are slicing, you can take it off at lower temps. Stop by any grocery store or Wal MArt and get an instant read dial thermometer. They are only a few dollars and will save you lots of headaches. Just calibrate it with boiling water to check it's accuracy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i wouldnt buy such a small butt, if its a timing thing just cook it hotter and if it looks like it needs it wrap in in foil and continue the cook. you could probably start at 275 dome and crank it up to as high as 325 when wrapped in foil. might not be as good as it could of, but it will still be good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    no problem if the pork is in the range of 160-170, it can still be quite yummy. however that is a temp range that would be better for slicing thin rather than pulling mostly because the connective tissue within the butt hasn't been borken down sufficiently to yield that "pulled" tenderness.

additionally i have come to find that a smaller boneless butt seems to cook lots quicker than the rule of thumb you speak of should indicate. don't be surprised if that 4.5 ponder that you speak of would hit an internal temp of 190-200 within 4-6 hours. of course that is assuming you are cooking at a dome of 220 - 250
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Buy just a standard "jam in the Butt" meat thermometer, the type one would use in the oven. Since your Egg temps are so low it can stay in the butt for the whole cook and they are cheap.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thermometers... Thermopen is best ($75 - $100) and well worth the price. Your food will tast better if it is cooked to the correct temp. The next choice would be a cheap dial ($5 to $12) In lower and slower cooks there is no reason not to have one. No thermometer is worst choice.

However, with pulled pork & no thermometer use a fork. Feel for little or no resistance when inserting and pressing into the meat and little resistance when twisting. Every time you poke the butt you are going to leave holes for juice to exit, less juice = more potential for dry meat.

I cook pork roast to 145° internal and rest so it climbs to about 155°. It tastes great but it won't pull and won't have the texture of properly cooked pulled pork.

Pulled to 195° - 200° and it great for pulled every time.

GG
  • murphy11
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Heading over to ACME now to find a cheapie thermometer to hold me over until I can get a thermapen. The biggest butt I can find in a grocery store is 4.5 lbs... might be time to make friends with the local butcher. Can't wait to try tomorrowand will try to snap some pics although I'll have to hide camera from wife because she already thinks I'm nuts :)

I bought some dizzy pig pork rub that I will use. Do I need anyting else and do you make a sauce separate or use a store bought barbeque to optionally use after the pork is pulled?
  • AuburnTiger
    Options
    Go to Costco, im going to buy in bulk here soon by the case. They have a 2 pack and most are around 7-8lbs per shoulder.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I try to find a 6 to 9 pounder. Ask the meat department folks if they have something in the freezer.

Otherwise, costco, sams, or walmart - I try not to buy meat from walmart/sams thought.

Dizzy Pig, seasonings are great. You can make your own sauce or buy commerical.

If it is available I like Sweet Babie Ray's original, I also like their hot. I am sure your store will have several choices.

Sounds like you have everything under control.

Let us know how this turns out.

GG
  • murphy11
    Options
    found a 8.5 pounder and am nervous about 1st overnight cook. hope it turns out right.