Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first butt/shoulder on the BGE

Options
AuburnTiger
AuburnTiger Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a question as my first one is not going the way of the norm. Help me out here.

I put a 7lb butt no bone in on the BGE around 3am, yes I was out late last night and decided to put it on for today. I got the start temp and stayed at that 250 mark till I went to bed around 4am. Woke up around 7am thanks to my dogs and found the BGE at around 310. Who knows how long it stayed like that as it was a little windy last night. I got it back down to the 225-250 range through the rest of the day. I checked the shoulder around 11am and the internal temp was at 160. Just chekced it 5 minutes ago and it was at 184. So at about 9 1/2 hours in its getting almost to that 190-200 pull off the grill and put in alum foil mark.

Could this already be that close to being ready? I was going by the 2 hour per lb talk but doesnt look like it unless it takes a couple more hours to get to 200. Throw out some theories for me. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I've done some fast ones like that the past two times--they're frequently referred to as "Turbo Butts" here. Sometimes, the meat doesn't have much fat/cartilage to break down and does not stay in the plateau for very long.

Depending on how you like the texture on your pork, 190 is a good temp to pull the meat off the cooker, and 200 is probably even better if you're going to do pulled pork. It comes apart much easier when done to 200.

Let us know how it turns out.
  • AuburnTiger
    Options
    Well I just checked it 20 minutes ago(almost 11 hours) and it hit 196 so i took it off, double wrapped it in foil and put it in the cooler with newspaper covering in it. I leave it in there for about an hour right?

I will post a couple pictures once I take it out and pull it. Hopefully it turned out well.

How do you post pictures on here?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i usually leave pulled pork in the cooler for at least 2 hours and up to 5... but that is just me ;)

posting pictures is pretty easy.

1. sign up with photobucket HERE is the link it is free and easy

2. upload the pictures to photobucket

3. use the img code to copy and paste into your message here on the board

4. hit submit.....LOL

5. wait for responses B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AuburnTiger
    Options
    When you mean pulled you already pulled it before you put it in there or you put it in whole? Stupid question I know, but only way to learn everyone's style to make your own.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Wrap it and put it in the cooler whole. While it is resting the temp will go up a little more and all the juices will redistribute. After a hour take it out and tear it apart. You'll love it.

Roll Tide Roll! ;)
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    The 310* excursion. How long was that? This will lead to a butt finishing early. Going for 2 hours a pound is IMO a sexy cook. Usually requires a 200-210* grid temp. I cook mine till it's 195-200* internal, then into the cooler whole for up to 3 hours (if it finished early). Then pull, add a little sauce, and eat.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    no i put it in there whole when your rest period is over in the cooler pull it out and pull it it will be real easy..... and tastey ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AuburnTiger
    Options
    Well it did come out perfect, the rub I mixed together definitely added some flavor. Nice smoke ring too. Here are the photo's from beginning to the end.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Fantastic looking meal you got there..congrats!
  • RNLV
    RNLV Posts: 42
    Options
    Looks great! Now what kind of sauce does everyone like. :unsure: ENJOY
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    It looks good from where I'm sitting. How'd it taste?
  • AuburnTiger
    Options
    Great! The inside was really tender and the bark had a great flavor, not strong at all. Could definitely taste the brown sugar and the extra kick of red pepper flakes from my cajun side of the family.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the responses yet, but given that the Egg climbed to 300+ for a while, this doesn't surprise me. I do my butts at 275*, and they take around 1-1/2 hr/lb...this sounds like it's okay
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Sweet! :woohoo: Looks like it pulled perfectly. Good job, AT.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    That looks great! Especially for the 1st one. Do you plan to add a sauce? If so, what kind?

War Eagle!

TC
  • No sauce yet. Im normally a no sauce mixer just dry on a bun then add the sauce.

Im a huge fan of the Big Bob Gibson's red sauce and their mustard sauce.

Thanks guys.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I am also a Big Bob Gibson's fan. I grew up 30 minutes from Decatur and usually go to Big Bob's when I am back in the area. I also like hot vinegar based sauces like the one from Whitt's

TC
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Awesome looking cook. Nothing like sucess on your first try. Thanks for sharing with us. Well done! B)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Glad to see that everything turned out well for you! The pulled pork looks great in your pictures!