Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg as a conventional grill

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering the purchase of either an Egg or a "conventional" grill. As a long time propane grill user I am concerned about having to re-learn how to cook on the Egg.[p]Do I have to learn how to cook on the Egg? Can it be used as a "conventional" grill (with the lid open)? My main interest is smoking food but I still want to be able to grill food like I currently do.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Decision Time,[p]No problem! The BGE will do low& slow smoking and high temp grilling. I prefer to cook steaks, burgers, etc. with the lid closed except for flipping, and using a "dwell"
    period(that's closing the lid and shutting both upper and lower vents). I've done "conventional" grilling with the lid open, it works well, but it's not what I like. [p]You will have a learning curve for the BGE, but it's really easy to get used to. When I first got mine, I had some temp control problems, but the nice people on this forum really helped out. After a couple of cooks I figured it out and each successive cook makes it easier and easier to do. It'srobably been said before, but even my mess-ups have come out better than on my gas grill or on my regular
    charcoal grill.[p]Go ahead and take the plunge! You will not regret your decision. And, any questions you have will be readily answered here.[p]Hope this helps your decision making,
    --Kevin

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Sorry, that should have said It's probably been said...[p]--Kevin
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Decision Time,[p]Absolutely, the Egg can be used with the lid open. I do this for stir-fry/stir-grill all the time, for things like shrimp. But then, after I stir it for a minute, I close the lid for a minute to let the smoke soak in, and then reopen, and stir, and reclose, etc.[p]Plus, I generally pre-heat the whole unit with the lid down for about 15 minutes, so that when I put the lid down for a minute, the ceramic lid cooks the food from above, while the fire is still cooking it from below. This results in a faster cook, which means juicier food. Imagine a barbecue grill inside an oven, and you get the idea.[p]Once you get the hang of cooking with the lid closed [which will take you almost no time], you will prefer the lid-down position for almost everything, including steaks. Way more juicy than having the top of the steak exposed to the cold air.

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Decision Time,
    One comment I need to make first is that no matter what grill you purchase you will have a period of time in which you are learning how to use that product.[p]I would highly recommend the BGE (I have a Medium) and many on this forum will highly recommend the large size. You will need to decide what works best for you. The BGE is unbelievably versitle, you can smoke and grill and achieve temperatures fairly easy between 225* and 750*. [p]Finally this forum is unbelievable. The people here are awsome and will help with anything. It's a lot of fun cooking on a BGE, and the food is better than any other grill/smoker that I have had food from. Good luck with your decision. Bob.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Decision Time,[p]I've never owned a propane-fueled rig, so I am not sure I can help. I did own Weber kettles and I did cook on those before I got a BGE.[p]After a couple of years adjusting to a BGE, I'd offer this advice. You can get every thing you wanted from "lid off" cooking on a traditional cooker by cooking on a BGE with its lid on. [p]The BGE and its pottery cousins do three things well. (1) smoke at low temps; (2) char broil at insane temps - above 600º and (3) cook at conventional mid-range - 300 and 600 - temps. [p]I don't know why this works, but a simple hamburger done at 400 to 500 cooks up juicier and with more flavor on a BGE with the lid down, than the lid up. I've done burgers on Weber kettles - lid on and lid off and couldn't taste much difference. I can tell the difference on a BGE. And I believe that a burger cooked on a lid-down BGE beats out a Weber - lid on, lid off. I've never made that test, because since I got the BGE I've never used the weber again, ever. [p]I've never cooked on propane-fueled rig, so I can't comment much on that. But for a BGE you usually want to keep the lid on, even when you wok. [p]Hope this helps,
    CB

• Decision Time,[p]There has been some discussion about how leaving the lid open for prolonged periods may cause thermal shock damage to the ceramic components inside (firebox being the main piece.) Most recipes are with the lid down but I can vouch for the burgers. Lid down they are juicy, delicious, and they don't shrink nearly as much as they would on gas.[p]I agree with the previous posters that you won't find a better grill/smoker and you'll quickly develop your own technique. It's very easy and very enjoyable.[p]The results I've gotten in the last three months have been astounding. I can't imagine using anything else now.[p]It's a big chunk of change, but you'll never go out again![p]Good luck on your decision and I look forward to hearing your personal success stories here on the forum.

• Decision Time,
    There is a learning curve, but temp control on the egg is real easy to learn (and tasty). When I got my egg, the first thing I did was hi-temp burgers. Fast, easy, hard to screw up. For my first lo temp smoke I did hickory smoked Italian sausage at 250F. It only took 2-1/2 hours to cook 'em and it gave me a real good feel for temp control. Since then, I've done 17 hour pork shoulder cooks, ribs, stuffed beef tenderloin, etc. Also, with a few accessories (pizza stone, ceramic plate setter) you can cook up a most awesome pizza. Some folks here even bake bread in their egg! Ceramic cooking is VERY versatile! Good luck on your decision!
    lns

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Decision Time,[p]In general, you should plan to cook, using a BGE, with the lid closed. The standard method of standing in front of a propane grill, with the lid open, and fiddling with the meat, moving it around, flipping it constantly, avoiding flare ups, and all of that "fun" grilling in the backyard will have to be thrown out.[p]The BGE is an effective cooker, because with the lid closed, the ceramic helps to retain the moisture within the food. With a few cooks, you'll find that dialing in a suitable temperature is a quick and easy experience. The other thing you'll find, is that with a BGE, you'll be cooking by an actual temperature, rather than a low-high meter, and that will make your successful cooks far more repeatable. Couple that with the ability to use this forum to get cooking advice and recipes makes it possible to have great cooks of any imaginable food, on your first attempt, again, because you are cooking by temperature, and not by "feel", which is how we all used to cook on a gasser.[p]Finally, as I said, the BGE is best used with the dome closed. If you cook with the dome open, your food will not retain as much of its moistness, and you'll burn up the gasket seal that's useful for keeping the smoke and moisture inside your BGE.[p]Enjoy your new cooker...hopefully its a BGE![p]--sdb
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Decision Time,
    "Dude, your getting an egg"

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Wardster,[p]I like it! That should be in a commercial![p]Smokey
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Decision Time,
    Two friends have bought new grills in the past month. Both went with gas grills. Both thought about it. One said he wanted something simple...he didn't want to cook fancy or elaborate. The other really toyed with the Egg. Knows how much I love mine but in the end opted for gas for convenience purposes. The egg wasn't for them and isn't for everyone. But if you're willing to spend a little more time, you'll get far superior food.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Shelby,[p]Maybe I'm biased [guilty!], but Egging just doesn't seem to take any more time than gassing. It does, though, require a little more forethought, since you have to light it 15 minutes or more before you put the food on. With gas, it's click and cook.[p]But in the real world, how often do we get a sudden urge to barbecue right before dinner? Usually, you have to buy or defrost something long in advance, and there is prep time, no matter what or how you are cooking. So it's no extra work or time to light the Egg during the prep process.[p]And don't get me started about the flavor.[p]
  • Prof Dan,[p]I really enjoy the whole process of getting the Egg ready and cooking. My kids like to sit outside with me while I do ribs, steaks and such. We actually spend alot of good time together around the egg.[p]I'm sure that wasn't in the original design but it worked out that way!