Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Custom Medium Big Green Egg Nest

toddahtoddah Posts: 6
edited 7:43AM in EggHead Forum
Here is my new custom constructed BGE nest.
I had a table but I moved and my new BBQ area is much smaller so an appropiate sized BGE housing was in order. I constructed the entire stand out of 2X6 Cedar lumber. The small riser under the BGE houses a square cake pan that functions as a ashtray sliding out to catch the ash's as they are scraped from the BGE ash opening. The BGE sits on top of a 7" Lazy suzan bearing assembly to allow the BGE to turn 360 degrees and face the breeze when required.
[/img]BGEfront.jpg

[/img]BGEside.jpg

[/img]BGEback.jpg
·

Comments

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Here's the photo:

BGEfront.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,693
    I LIKE it!

Spring "Sawdusty Brain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
    ·
  • toddahtoddah Posts: 6
    Thanks Wiz, took me a minute to figure out the syntax for the link
    ·
  • pop-a- toppop-a- top Posts: 184
    Very sharp B)
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Nice and well thought out. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking my medium needs the same kind treatment.

GG
    ·
  • BoatmanBoatman Posts: 854
    Very classy setup, and I love the lazy susan idea! Well crafted and engineered! A professional job, congratulations B)
    ·
  • PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
    Beautiful.... A working piece of art... I LIKE IT ALOT!
    :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
    ·
    I kind of took the shape in general from a design I had seen for a Japanese garden bench and drew it out a few times with different shapes and curves until I came up with the present design. I am still working on a small shelf to fit on the top front to cover the ends of the bottom bracing and add bottle holders (beer and sauce) and tool hooks. I am working on a computer controlled fan assembly but I am waiting for parts to be delivered.
    I have a 77" round table made out of the same Cedar Lumber that seats about 10 or 12 if you are really good friends.
    ·
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    impressive, creative ....well done
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,260
    Built nice and solid! Nice flowing yet compact design! So your egg is setting on the lazy susan or is it setting on the plate and the lazy susan is under it?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    VERY cool Toddah! You might be a "Newbie" on here, but not in the woodshop!
    ·
  • toddah wrote:
    I kind of took the shape in general from a design I had seen for a Japanese garden bench and drew it out a few times with different shapes and curves until I came up with the present design. I am still working on a small shelf to fit on the top front to cover the ends of the bottom bracing and add bottle holders (beer and sauce) and tool hooks. I am working on a computer controlled fan assembly but I am waiting for parts to be delivered.
    I have a 77" round table made out of the same Cedar Lumber that seats about 10 or 12 if you are really good friends.

Sounds like you've thought of everything...except the bottle opener!! Great looking table and very creative!
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
    ·
    The bottle opener was mounted after the picture was taken. It's a Guinness wall mount!
    There is a 12X12 floor tile sitting on top of the Ashtray holder and the Lazy Suzan bearing set sits on top of that and the BGE sits on top of the bearing. LS Bearing set is from Home Depot and runs about 6 or 7 bucks. I had to replace the bearing set on my old table after about 3 or 4 years as it got filled with grit and did not turn smoothly anymore.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Very Nice. I love it. are you going to add wheels??.
    Nice job
    Pat
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Leroy!!!! Back away from the tools. At least until your carbon unit regenerates a few more digits. :ohmy: :ohmy: :blush:

Pat
    ·
  • Outstanding. The lazy susan is an eggcelent idea - Egghead wall fame design. Do yo have a photo of the table?
    ·
  • ChefBrianChefBrian Posts: 172
    Great design, I would like to take this opurtunity to place my order for one! :woohoo:
    ·
  • HammerHammer Posts: 1,001
    Great table! Glad you shared it. A neat design.
    Hammer
    ·
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Excellent!

~ B

:) B) :)
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Great looking table. I'll have to add cedar on the list of possible woods. I built two prototype tables, now need to build new ones with a better wood. I like the traditional look of cedar. Have fun this summer!
    Clay
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Very Nice!!!!! I have a medium and if something happens with my nest/mates would love to do that! ;)
    ·
  • RNLVRNLV Posts: 42
    Great!!!!! I like the bearing idea. Will the rain cap store in the cake pan?
    ·
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    Beautiful! It looks like a Frank Loyd Wright design.
    ·
    Sorry for the quality but it is raining and very cloudy today.
    Here is a shot of the table. it sits on top of an old capped well that supplied the house with water back in 1860.
    Same construction all 2X6 Cedar.
    works out very well as everyone in the crowd is facing each other.
    I have a plan in the works for a wooden ring Lazy Suzan about 28" in diameter to fit the center of the table and allow all the dish to pass stuff to rotate to the guests.

[/img]yard.jpg
    ·