Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kobe Beef and the Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop some notes about where to score excellent Kobe/Wagyu steaks and ask some questions about other's experinces cooking this wonderful beef on the egg.

1) Where to find it - unfortunatley I have had some bad experinces with online meat purchases. Frozen Kobe just doesn't taste the same and you have no control over the cut of meat they send you. Thank god for Central Market. They typically carry several cuts of Kobe (ribeye, strip, filet, you name it). It is fresh and reasonably priced, I highly suggest you take a look if you have a Central Market near you!

2) How to cook it - I have tried many methods (diffent timing, temps, etc..) and have ruined a couple of steaks in the process. The times I got it right - nothing else like it, the best beef I have ever tasted! The times I got it wrong - tough and no good! Kobe requires the perfect touch and I was wondering if anyone has any tried and true methods for cooking 1" to 1.5" thick Kobe steaks on the egg? Here is how I have achieved the best results:

Meat prep:
1) 1" to 1.5" thick Kobe strip or filet
2) rub with freshly ground green peppercorns, kosher salt and garlic butter

Egg prep:
1) fill with lots of coals (approx 6" from grilling surface)
2) wait till egg reaches 650 or so
3) place cast iron skillet on grill surface and let heat for 10 minutes (very important - you must use the skillet, don't use the standard green egg grate or all that lovely fat will melt off and you will be sorry!)
4) add buttter and garlic slices to the skillet
5) remove garlic slices after they turn golden (keep for later if you wish)
6) add steaks and sear each side for 2 minutes (make sure you are using the cast iron skillet!)
7) use tongs to sear the sides of the steak also
8) Optional step - butterfly and sear the butterflied surfaces
8) shut down egg and let steaks cook on standard grilling surface for another 3 minutes (if you butterflied make sure you skip this step or your steaks will be dry!)
9) serve and experience the Kobe!

like no other beef on earth! If anyone else has any Kobe cooking tips with the egg please share! Thanks.

BigAdam

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    My Brother cooked Kobe Steaks on his Medium Bge and they were killer... This is the method he used. We used his Cast Iron Grate for the searing.

You can Google this recipe or read it below. Disclaimer: I do not know who the the author of this recipe is.

"How to Cook Kobe Beef
    By eHow Food & Drink Editor

Kobe beef comes from an elite breed of cattle named Wagyu. Because it is considered the finest beef in the world and can be hard to find, it is usually very expensive. Given its rarity and expense, if you are able to obtain some Kobe beef you need to follow specific instructions to cook it properly. The meat is unlike other beef in several ways.

Step1 Warm up the grill as hot as you can get it. Turn on the grill and let the flames fire for 30 minutes to get it hot. You can cook the beef directly on the grill or in a cast iron pan. If you choose to use a cast iron pan, place the pan on the grill as soon as you turn it on to allow the pan to become hot.

Step2 Place the Kobe beef on the grill and sear the meat. Allow one side of the meat to brown for about a minute. Then, turn the meat over and allow the other side of the meat to brown. This will seal in the flavor.

Step3 Cut the Kobe beef into strips while on the grill. After the beef has seared on the outside, immediately cut the steak into thin strips and sear the inside of the steak. This will also take about a minute. It is important not to sear the meat for more than a minute, because Kobe beef, unlike other steak, is highly sensitive to heat. If you you cook it too long, the fat will melt away, leaving the meat tasteless.

Step4 Remove the strips of meat from the grill. After the meat is seared on the outside and the inside, remove it from the grill. The meat should be crisp on the outside, but juicy on the inside. Rare or medium rare is ideal for Kobe beef.

Step5 Sprinkle sea salt over the Kobe beef after you cook it and serve. You may also sprinkle some pepper or garlic onto the meat, but it is important to keep the seasoning light. The seasoning should not cover up the flavor of the meat."

Enjoy, Pharmeggist
  • Pharmeggist
    We ate the steaks on the rare side :laugh:
    It was so good we ate the steak before the sides: Baked potato and green beans. :silly:
    Anyway, we used just a little salt and black pepper to taste after plating it... nothing else needed B)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "seals in the flavor" and ""unlike other beef, it's sensitive to heat".

other than those two ridiculous statements, the cook sounds plausible.

be very careful on eHow.com just like me here, any clown can profess their expertise there.

i wouldn't slice it up and then sear again. sounds like a good way to overcook your wagyu. my gut is to try the hot tub method. preheat in a ziploc bag immersed in 120 or so degree tap water (hottest you can muster) until the steak is 100 or so internal, then sear 90 seconds a side at 750 or so.

no sealing in of anything occurs during a sear, but you can damn well bet a ton of great flavor is added.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hmmmm, combining sous vide with the egg. Sounds like a great idea. How long do you hot tub the meat for? I would also use a food saver sealed bag instead of the ziplock.
  • stike
    no need to foodsaver. it's only in the water 15 or 20 minutes....

unless the foodsaver bags are cheaper. i heard they were semi-spendy
  • Pharmeggist
    Hi Stike,
    I only had the Kobe Steak once in my life and it was great. You are right there are plenty of clowns out there and the best advice is the stuff that comes from here. I really liked your idea the best too. If I ever get to do Kobe again I will try the hot tub method.
    ~Pharmeggist
  • stike
    well. i didn't say it very well... i tried to say that OTHER than those two lines, that sounds like a reasonable approach to cook the steak. i just would be very careful during the second sear, because you can overcook easily.

i didn't mean to imply the answer was goofy. just that 'searing in flavor' myth that will nevr die.

there's a guy on eHow, or maybe about.com, calls himself a grill king. makes ribs in 20 minutes, presses down on burgers, etc.

and he's their 'expert' re: grilling. i'm a total stooge. but that dude is stoogier even moreso.

you ain't no stooge... sorry if that's what i implied. dinnit mean to
  • Pharmeggist
    B) We are cool Man!
    I learn something everyday on this forum... as I said to a newbie today I am not an originator of new recipes I am a copier or duplicator.... If it wasn't for Dr. BBQ's books, the Naked Whiz site, and this forum I would starve man. No Kidding!!! The good thing is I can follow a recipe and have it turn out close to 96% (guess-timaion)of the time the way it was intended to.

I pinged you a question about hot tubbing too!

Just think 2 years ago I had never done a Boston Butt, Spatched Chicken, Clays pulled pork, and planked salmon etc. Long live the egg :woohoo: