Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia Aftermath

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A little background to start with...I personally dont consider myself an onion eater...I dont put a slice of onion on my burgers and if I get a steak sub I order it without fried onions..that being said..I put onion powder or diced onion or fresh onion in some form on probably 90% of the food I cook...Tonight I cooked a vidalia using Spin`s recommendation ( a dab of butter and some brown sugar wrapped in foil ) I used mesquite for the smoke and put the onion on at around 250° and let it go for approx 1 hour by then it had climbed to 450° and I put the steaks on and I opened the foil for a little char on the onion...I`m here to tell ya...dat was some good eats..Sally said if I never cooked them any other way she would be happy..So kudo`s to Spin and the others who offered their recipes, this is something to try if you haven`t yet...cant wait to try the bacon cream cheese version...now if I can just figure out this ever increasing waist line..LOL[p]Wess

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WessB,
    I am not an onion eater, I will use green onion in my potato salad and in tuna fish from the can, But, I have found that I love the char on the onions when I get chicken fahitas at the Mexican restaurant. Glad you have found something new to enjoy from the BGE.
    Happy Eats,
    New Bob

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    WessB,
    Another way to enjoy Vidalias is to cut them into quarters, or eighths, and poach them gently in Balsamic vinegar, leaving them just a bit crunchy.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Agreed. I have also done this with beer and bay seasoning and a little butter. Whatever. It is hard to beat a good vidalia.
  • Unknown
    Options
    WessB, for a different taste try a dab of butter and a dash of Worchestershire sauce. Quarter the onion first not quite cutting through the onion and wrap in aluminum foil. Then cook for about an hour.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    WessB,
    Another way is to use some garlic powder instead of the brown sugar. They don't taste really garlicy and the natural sugar of the onion makes them really tasty.
    JimW