Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grilling corn

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't have the egg yet (waiting till september when I move), but I've been hanging around getting excited for a while reading all the great cooking tips. I'm going to be grilling on my Weber Kettle in about an hour--simple burgers and hot dogs, and was thinking about doing corn. Any suggestions on how to prepare corn on a grill with no temp control (i.e.--wait till coals ash over and just pray)? How long to grill? Do I need to boil beforehand? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Aron,
    I've simply shucked the corn, rubbed it with olive oil and placed them direct over a "medium" fire, rolling them every 3-5 minutes until all is beginning to carmalize (some of the kernals are turning brown to black). While good, they will be better on your egg.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Aron,
    The easiest way I have done it is to soak it in water, husks,silk and all for about an hour and just throw it right on the grill for about an hour...let it sit for about 20 minutes after you remove it from the grill and it peels as clean as can be, then just top it as you normally would.[p]Wess

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Marvin,
    Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the tip.
    Aron

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Aron,[p]I do mine similar to Marvin. Remove husk and silk, a little butter and a dusting of garlic then grill direct until the edges of the kernels become slightly darkened. It's really flavorful.[p]Carl T

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    WessB, I have always removed the silks (pull the husks down, clean out the silks and pull the husks back up). If you don't remove it before cooking, does it come off easily when husking? I'd be afraid that cooked those silks would be to get out.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Wise One,
    I had the same apprehensions when I first stumbled on to the recipe...where ever I read it they stated to let it rest in a paper bag for the final 15 to 20 mins...I was amazed at how all the silk came right off, wether the rest period is the trick to it or not I couldn`t say..on one of my cooks I had so much corn I put it in a cooler to rest and it it still cleaned up very easily...as I remember the recipe it was...about an hour in cold water, without peeling or anything, then on the grid at 300° - 400° the husks will burn if not turned but it doesn`t make a difference if you do or don`t turn them..cook for approx. 1 hour and then rest in a paper bag for 15 - 20 minutes..the times I have done this I ended up with a nice not overpowering smokey taste, kinda of a nice twist to the flavor...as with every thing in life your taste buds will vary from mine but we all enjoyed it...and it certainly can`t get much easier than this technique....enjoy..but to plainly answer your question..the silk came off as easy if not easier than if you did it before cooking.[p]Wess

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Marvin, tonight since my wife had already shucked one ear, I decided to give your method a try. I sprayed with olive oil and then put a little salt and pepper on the ears followed by a little garlic pepper I had sitting around. I put it on a medium egg (350-375) for about 30 minutes (turning every 3-5 minutes as directed). While my wife complained that the corn was dry, my neighbor claimed it was the best corn-on-the-cob she had ever eaten. I liked it in that it was far easier to chew off the cob but it was a tad drier than doing them in the husks. It definitely had the look of "BBQ corn" though. I'll have to try it again.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Aron,
    I always peel the husks back, remove the silk, then coat with butter and add salt and pepper and pull the husks back up. If you want, you can remove the husks and wrap in tin foil. Usually go with slower, longer cooks. Rotate/flip to keep from burning one side.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Aron,
    The best I've ever had was with the recipe in link below.
    I don't usually put any rub on though just the butter.
    I believe it's much nicer served at the table with silk removed as per the recipe.
    B D

[ul][li]Corn on the Cob[/ul]