Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia onions

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recieved some fresh vidalia onions from a friend and was trying to dig up the recipe for smoking them whole..I obviously had no luck...anyone ever done this and have and time/temp suggestions...I was not intending to throw them in the coals to flavor anything else..I want to cook and eat them.....Thanks.[p]Wess

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WessB,[p]Cut off the top quarter to third of the onion and discard, slice almost through into quarters, add a dollop of butter, and a nice sprinkle of brown sugar (I like dark). Wrap in foil and cook like a baked potato.[p]Hard to overcook and the quartered slices are great eats.[p]Spin
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    WessB,[p]West Coast Smokey posted this one last spring/summer. It's not exactly smoking them, but it's really good none-the-less.[p]cut the top off off the onion, Core it, leaving several layers of onion and the bottom intact. mince the innards that you just removed and mix with a little butter. Put 1 beef bullion cube in each onion and cover with the minced onion. wrap the whole thing in foil, and cook at ~400 degrees for an hour. The onions come out soft and taste like french onion soup. [p]This may not be exactly as WCS posted, I've modified it and I don't have the recipe handy, so this is off the top of my head. Iknow there's a similar recipe in "The Everything BBQ" cookbook[p]I've also got a recipe that involves stuffing the onions with bacon, cream cheese and minced onion, but I've never done it on the BGE. I can dig it up and send it to you if you feel like experimenting.[p]--Kevin

[ul][li]The Everything BBQ Cookbook[/ul]
  • WessB
    Options
    Spin,
    Thanks for the response..got some filets defrosting and gonna give this a try this evening with a little mesquite for flavor.[p]Wess

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    WessB,[p]You're very fortunate to get them this year....with the fluctuating temps & a fungus, most of the onion farmers lost their behinds. We like to peel & core them...fill up the hole with a half chicken bouillon cube & Kikoman Teriyaki Sauce. Top with a pat of butter & a sprinkle of Tarragon. Double wrap in foil so as not to lose the juices. Cook on raised grill at 400 degrees for approximately an hour...they're awesome. Also have a good recipe for Vidalia Onion pie if you're interested. [p]Larry
  • WessB
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,
    That bacon and cream cheese sounds awesome...I would love for you to send it when you have the time, it wont be done tonight so dont go out of your way, gonna do the simple recipe this go round. You and Spin posted really close to the same idea so thats what I`ll try tonight..Thanks..
    my addy is in my profile. Or you could just post it here for others to enjoy also.[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    YB,
    Thanks..I read your pie recipe about an hour ago while I was searching....Big John that was at Eggfest just returned from Georgia and he brought us bag a 5# bag that looks like it came not very far from the farmer himself..looking forward to givin em a try tonight..gonna go simple for the first cook. Our best to the family.[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Ca_rnivore,[p]If you could see your way to sharing the bacon/cream cheese recipe with me, I would be much appreciative.[p]Thanks in advance,
    Spin

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    WessB,
    If you want to eggsperiment,you can use an apple corer and cut part way down the onion and gently open it up to look like a blooming onion. I cooked on a couple of days ago, just used a folded piece of foil to set the onion on, coated with olive oil,BlueSmokes rub and stuffed the cored out center (I did that with a knife) with chopped red and yellow bell pepper. ( a little cinnamon also adds a nice touch)
    New Bob

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    WessB,There are many different ways to enjoy Vidalia onions, the best being raw!!! But then I have never tried them on the Egg as I did not have one last year when the onions were at their prime. I just want to suggest that if you find yourself with some of these wonderful onions and you are undecided on what to do with them, until you decide, you would be wise to store them in the hydrator drawer of your fridge. Then you can take a little more time until you decide how you want to cook them. The comments already give sound great. You can't go wrong with them.