Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lower vent screen???

Options
1/2 Chicken
1/2 Chicken Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone actually use the screen in the lower vent. I just go open air. Just curious if I'm missing somthing. :whistle:

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I don't use it, but my grill is outside in the open. If my egg was where a spark could cause a fire I would use it.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I read somewhere that it cuts back air inflow by about 30%.....so that´s usually the first major adjustment I make in stabilizing temp.....also for me the wind is usually an issue and have a palapa nearby, so I keep it closed for safety reasons.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    If you use it on wood deck, I'd make sure it was attached. If your patio is concrete like mine and the grill i away from house, I see no need to use one. I purchased my grill before they came with them. To add one would cost money, that I would rather spend on other toys. If I moved and had a wood deck though, you can bet I'd buy one.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Another name comes to mind. Think spark arrestor.
  • Crüe-B-Cüe
    Options
    I use mine now that it's off the patio and in the table.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    It's really no big effort nor expense (less than $10 as I recall) to retrofit. If memory servers me right that screen was developed and offered after Nature Boy's home burnt down due to his egg. 10 bucks is pretty cheap lifetime insurance in my book!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    A house burning down is definite reason to use it. I cook on my driveway next to my detached garage… loosing my garage would be nearly as devastating as my house. Guess I better start using it… at least on long unattended cooks.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    my old egg did not have one but my new one has one i always thought like you i don't need it.. but as me and my dog found out if the screen is open there is a possibility that something will come out... i stepped on a piece of ash that was really hot the dog stepped on the same peice about 10 seconds later now it is always closed when i have bare feet.. i usually leave it open when i am comming up to temp ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You will once the hot coals come out.
  • Katodude00
    Options
    I always use it. Even though my deck is concrete. It is a very simple safety feature that has no impact on my enjoyment of the egg.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Totally agree. I use mine all of the time even for short cooks as you never know when that spark will fly.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I bought my med egg last year and never got one or was offered one. Huh?
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    When lighting I usualy have the vent free as the dome temp gets to 250° or so I close the screen and then begin to close the vent to control temp.

Wouldn't cook without the screen in place.

GG
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Neither my large or small came with them but I did purchase one for both of them in Waldorf a year before last. The vent on the small is so loose the screen actually helps hold it in place and is always used. Now, the large is a different story, very tight fit and tough to make a vent adjustment when it is in place. Since I frequently have my Guru on the large I tend to go naked on that one.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I keep it closed to protect the animals in the rare case that it sparks...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    All it takes is one decent size ember and a slight breeze to blow/roll it up to something flamable. If that happens, you will be missing something. It's such an easy safety device that warrants it being used.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    I noticed that the newer eggs have the screen built in, which means that their draft door track is wider to hold both doors. If you have an older egg then you can buy just the sliding screen door for about $10 but then you have to widen your track with a screwdriver and it might still be a tight fit. So I purchased the screen and attached it to my stainless draft door on the outside of the track using thin magnetic tape. This allows it to be installed or removed quickly without changing the draft door setting and without widening the track. I will post pics soon.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I love it when people come up with good ideas.

Spring "The KISS System Works Best" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    stainless isn't magnetic..how'd that work?
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    The magnetic tape is thin and has adhesive on one side. So you just cut two small strips and attach one to the door and one to the screen. You can also do the same with tiny rare-earth magnets sold at Radio Shack but they are a little thicker than the tape.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    My sense is that it would be difficult (and perhaps impossible) to get my large BGE up to high temperatures due to the restricted air flow if the screen is closed.